The Global Gaming Industry’s Premier Casino Gaming Law Group
Geography is destiny. Our Nevada roots have called us to encompass all matters relating to the licensing, regulation, and control of the gaming industry by governmental authorities, including the representation of casino developers, manufactures and operators – wherever they do business. Our domestic and international clients include gaming owners and investors, manufacturers and distributors of gaming devices and related gaming systems, and lenders to the gaming industry. McDonald Carano attorneys provide representation to gaming clients in all stages of casino development, acquisition, and operation, including site location and planning matters, acquisition of interests in existing gaming companies, financings and institutional investor investments, construction and expansion of gaming properties, and all related gaming licensing and compliance matters, regardless of complexity. Our lawyers routinely work with the gaming commissions, state gaming control boards, and local gaming licensing and regulatory authorities across the United States.
Gaming is of vital importance to Nevada’s economy. We have provided legal and political counsel to the industry since 1949. Our experience has spanned boom times and tough times alike, and we are prepared to help clients weather any impacts the current pandemic may bring.
Stellar Backgrounds and Experience
Several of our lawyers have held important positions related to the oversight and governance of the gaming industry before joining McDonald Carano, and in some cases, while part of the firm. Our attorneys have served, or are serving, as counsel to gaming commissions, chairs of gaming control boards, and chairs of the outside counsel for compliance and governance committees for various international corporations, among other noteworthy positions. These experiences and the concomitant network of relationships that accompany them, serve as important benefits to our clients.
Not only do we advise gaming clients, we have been sought out to advise regulatory and federal agencies, providing guidance on meeting and crafting regulatory standards. We have also represented regulatory authorities in litigation including disciplinary actions, tax disputes, and disputed licensing matters.
Our administrative and regulatory practice is highly regarded. Our attorneys and government relations and advocacy professionals handle a broad spectrum of administrative and regulatory matters involving the gaming and utilities industries, matters governed by state financial regulators, state and local tax issues, and a myriad of other matters pending before state and federal agencies and other authorities having jurisdiction over businesses and property owners. Armed with strong government relations skills, we put our experience to work to resolve problems efficiently and quickly, and to advocate strategic solutions to the legislative and executive branches of government, as well as to local government agencies, boards, and councils having authority over our clients’ matters.
We provide representation to global gaming clients in all stages of casino development and operation. Our clients include casinos and sports-book operators; hotels, resorts and travel centers; tribal organizations; gaming owners and investors; gaming manufacturers and distributors; eSports, lotteries and sweepstakes, skill-based gaming, fantasy sports, lenders to the industry; and, industry organizations.
We counsel and represent industry clients in every area of importance, including:
- Acquisition, construction and expansion, and operation of gaming properties
- Disposition, refinancing, and workouts of gaming properties
- Dispute resolution, including litigation and alternative dispute resolution
- Employment law guidance and advice
- Financings and institutional investor investments
- Legislative counsel and advocacy
- Licensing and applications across multiple states, including liquor licensing
- Lotteries, sweepstakes, eSports and other contests for cash
- Real estate, including site location, planning, land use, permitting and zoning
- Regulatory, compliance, and enforcement counsel
- Risk analysis
- Tax and tax appeals
Selected Industry Experience
- Representing a large publicly traded gaming company in the acquisition of eight casino operations in six different states, including all relevant gambling and related business licensing matters as well as ongoing gaming compliance issues.
- Providing strategic guidance to an industry organization regarding legalization and regulation of gaming and sports betting around the country.
- Acting for the largest publicly traded operator of truck plazas along major state highways in America in the acquisition and licensing of auto/truck plaza casino operations located on interstate highways.
- Representing a publicly traded international company that develops, manufactures, and sells gaming machines in connection with gaming regulatory compliance and reporting requirements.
- Regularly representing all the executives of a publicly traded company in connection with the handling of their findings of suitability/licensing applications and hearings.
- Representing an institutional investor as its outside gaming counsel, handling on a national basis all of its gaming regulatory filings in connection with its investments in the stocks of various publicly traded companies involved in the gaming industry in the United States.
- Assisting a large gaming device manufacturer in obtaining gaming manufacturers and distributors licenses.
- Advised a sports book and resort casino operator regarding the regulatory requirements and approvals required to integrate their operations nationally.
- Helped a tribe evaluate and determine ownership structure alternatives for the acquisition of various casino resorts.
- Advised a major foreign gaming operator in assessing regulatory and approval requirements for the acquisition of an international gaming company.
- Led the work for a prominent privately-owned gaming company in its one billion plus U.S. dollars merger with a publicly traded gaming company, providing strategic legal and commercial counsel on complex gaming licensing procedures in five different states as they relate to casino, lottery, horse racing, liquor, and general business licenses.
- Represented a major publicly traded gaming company in a one billion U.S. dollars refinancing, including advising on all aspects of obtaining the relevant approvals required to facilitate the deal from the various gaming regulatory authorities.
- Represented a large publicly traded gaming company in the acquisition of two hotel-casino resorts, including handling all relevant gaming and related business licensing matters linked to the acquisitions.
- Represented a leading hotel-casino resort in an investigation into a range of regulatory compliance issues. Advising the client on the implementation of remedies and a compliance program to safeguard against future issues on the regulatory side.
Our gaming attorneys and practice group have been recognized in legal industry ratings and rankings directories such as Chambers USA, The Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers, and Martindale-Hubbell.
Practice Area News
Aristocrat Leisure : Further Strengthens Governance with New Appointment to Board Regulatory and Compliance Committee
Aristocrat Leisure Limited today announced that Mr A.G. Burnett has been appointed as an independent member of the Regulatory and Compliance Committee (“Committee”) of the Aristocrat Board of Directors. Mr…
Law360, November 10, 2020, Advocates for legalizing sports betting notched another series of victories last week with voters in three more states approving ballot measures, but even with changes in…
McDonald Carano Ranked as a Leading Nevada Law Firm in 2020 Chambers USA and Chambers High Net Worth Guides
July 9, 2020 – McDonald Carano is pleased to announce Chambers has again listed the Firm as a highly ranked law firm in both the Chambers USA and Chambers High…
Our Gaming & Administrative Law Group
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.