Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia
- All Federal Courts in Nevada & California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- J.D., University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law, 1976
- B.S., University of Nevada, Reno, 1973
William Magrath serves as Chair of the Complex & Commercial Litigation Group with McDonald Carano. For more than 35 years, he has focused on complex construction, business, contract, and commercial litigation. His first-chair courtroom experience before juries, judges, and arbitrators and his devotion to advocacy have resulted in honors from national organizations and leadership positions in bar associations and community groups.
Mr. Magrath has represented a wide range of clients, including publicly traded corporations, national and regional companies, the Nevada System of Higher Education, national and local construction firms, hotel casinos in Nevada, and individuals and families. He has served as a special counsel appointed by the Nevada Attorney General to lead a team of lawyers representing the Nevada System of Higher Education in a multi-faceted seven-year federal civil rights lawsuit, which was successfully concluded with an award of $1.1 million in attorneys’ fees to NSHE, the denial of all appeals, and a petition for certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court. Reported cases include his successful federal injunction request on behalf of a contractor against the Nevada Public Works Board prohibiting further construction of a $28 million prison project. This resulted in new standards for Nevada public works bidding practices in Nevada. From 2010 to 2014, Mr. Magrath was one of several McDonald Carano attorneys representing a general contractor in a $500 million litigation related to the construction of Las Vegas’ 76-acre CityCenter urban complex and the Harmon Hotel.
He also has expertise in estate and trust litigation with recent trials resolving disputes over fiduciary duties, fraud, unjust enrichment, neglect, and exploitation of older and vulnerable persons.
William has received accolades from many respected industry publications, such as The Best Lawyers in America©, Martindale-Hubbell, Mountain States Super Lawyers, and Nevada’s Legal Elite. He also served as president of the Washoe County Bar Association and as president and master emeritus of the Bruce R. Thompson Inn of the American Inns of Court.
Before joining the firm in 1980, William served as a deputy district attorney in Washoe County, where he successfully prosecuted multiple criminal jury trials, including murder. He began his legal career in 1976 as a law clerk to the Honorable William N. Forman of Nevada’s Second Judicial District Court. He is licensed to practice in Nevada, California, and the United States Supreme Court. William is also an owner of a building materials business and property management partnership in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Areas of Experience
Mr. Magrath regularly appears before the state and federal courts in Nevada and California, representing clients in administrative matters and on appeal before the Nevada Supreme Court, and before various state and local governmental agencies and boards.
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated (Since 1996)
- The Best Lawyers in America – Bet-the-Company Litigation (2010-2023), Commercial Litigation (2009-2023), Construction Law (2009-2023), Construction Litigation (2011-2023), Trust and Estates Litigation (2021-2023), Corporate Law (2022-2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America “Lawyer of the Year” – Construction Litigation (2023, 2019, 2015, 2012)
- The Best Lawyers in America “Lawyer of the Year” – Bet-the-Company Litigation (2023, 2020, 2018, 2016, 2013)
- The Best Lawyers in America “Lawyer of the Year” – Construction Law (2023, 2021)
- Super Lawyers Magazine “Mountain States Super Lawyer” – Business Litigation, Construction Litigation, Estate and Trust Litigation (2013-2017)
- Nevada Business Magazine “Legal Elite” (2012, 2013)
- Past President and Director, Washoe County Bar Association
- Past President and Master Emeritus, Bruce R. Thompson Inn of the American Inns of Court
- Past President and Director, Volunteer Lawyers of Washoe County
- Past President and Trustee, Washoe County Access to Justice Foundation
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern Nevada and California Defense Research Institute
- Past Member, University of Nevada Alumni Council
- Past President and Director, Caughlin Ranch Homeowners Association (21 years)
McDonald Carano proudly announces that 20 of our Reno office lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in America. Three of…
McDonald Carano congratulates Bill Magrath on an outstanding achievement of receiving eleven Lawyer of the Year awards in nine years from The Best Lawyers in America. In Best Lawyers 2023,…
McDonald Carano proudly announces the sixth consecutive year that we have received the highest ranking of Band 1 in the category of Private Wealth Law in the Chambers High Net…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.