Areas of Practice
- Ohio , 1976
- Nevada, 1982
- Texas, 1986
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Courts (Nevada and Northern District of Ohio)
- United States Supreme Court
- J.D., University of Toledo College of Law, 1975
- B.A, Ashland College, 1973
Mr. Sheets’ professional background includes more than 35 years of legal practice with substantial experience in the energy industry. He served as General Counsel of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in Washington, DC. Mr. Sheets held the position of Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Southwest Gas Corporation for 24 years. He also served as a Senior Attorney with Texas Eastern Corporation, an interstate natural gas pipeline, and Staff Counsel at the Public Service Commission of Nevada. Early in his career, Mr. Sheets held Senior Attorney positions with Sierra Pacific Resources and Toledo Edison Company, both combination electric and gas utilities.
Energy, Environmental & Natural Resource Law
As General Counsel of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Mr. Sheets provided legal advice, analysis, legislative testimony and support, and proposed policy direction. The position afforded significant exposure to all facets of renewable energy development.
Mr. Sheets served as Senior Officer and General Counsel of the fifth largest stand-alone local distribution gas utility in the United States. He and his team were responsible for the corporation’s legal and regulatory representation, contracts, insurance, and workers compensation.
Mr. Sheets served as Chairman of the Nevada Tax Commission for six years and gained a detailed familiarity with Nevada’s system of taxation, and the tax issues and policies affecting local governmental entities.
Commercial & Complex Litigation
Mr. Sheets has 35 years of commercial litigation experience, trying cases as lead counsel and managing complex commercial litigation activities.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Mr. Sheets has served as a neutral of the American Arbitration Association since 1978. Cases have included complex construction contract disputes, energy disputes and general corporate disputes.
Awards and Recognition
Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
The Best Lawyers in America© – Energy Law
- Member, American Arbitration Association/International Centre for Dispute Resolution (AAA/ICDR), North American
- Energy Advisory Committee
- Member, Energy Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Member, Nevada State Bar Professionalism Committee
- Former President, Clark County Bar Association
- Former Chair, Clark County Law Foundation
- Former Member, American Arbitration Association Energy Advisory Committee
- Former Member, Nevada State Bar Judicial Ethics and Elections Committee
- Former Co-Chair, Nevada State Bar Administrative Law Committee
- Former Chair, Nevada Tax Commission
- Former Member, Nevada Public Radio Board of Directors
- Former Member, UNLV Statewide Law School Advisory Panel
August 20, 2018 – McDonald Carano is pleased to announce new recognition in the 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. Attorneys recognized include: Matthew C. Addison, Partner, Commercial…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.