Areas of Practice
- Ohio , 1976
- Nevada, 1982
- Texas, 1986
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Courts (Nevada and Northern District of Ohio)
- United States Supreme Court
- J.D., University of Toledo College of Law, 1975
- B.A, Ashland College, 1973
Thom Sheets is Of Counsel in the Energy, Environment & Natural Resources Law Group with McDonald Carano. He has more than 40 years of experience in the energy industry, focusing on utilities and administrative and regulatory matters.
He previously served as General Counsel of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in Washington, DC, and he also held the position of Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Southwest Gas Corporation for 24 years. Mr. Sheets was a Senior Attorney with Texas Eastern Corporation, an interstate natural gas pipeline, and Staff Counsel at the Public Service Commission of Nevada. Early in his career, he held Senior Attorney positions with Sierra Pacific Resources and Toledo Edison Company, both combination electric and gas utilities.
Energy, Environmental & Natural Resource Law
As General Counsel of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Mr. Sheets provided legal advice, analysis, legislative testimony and support, and was acutely involved in agency policy development. The position also afforded significant exposure to all facets of renewable energy development.
Mr. Sheets served as a Senior Officer and General Counsel of one of the largest local distribution gas utilities in the United States. He and his team were responsible for the corporation’s legal and regulatory representation, contracts, insurance, and workers compensation.
Mr. Sheets served as Chairman of the Nevada Tax Commission for six years and gained a detailed familiarity with Nevada’s system of taxation, and the tax issues and policies affecting local governmental entities.
Commercial & Complex Litigation
Mr. Sheets has more than 40 years of commercial litigation experience, as trial counsel and through managing complex commercial litigation activities.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Mr. Sheets served as a neutral of the American Arbitration Association for more than 40 years. Cases included complex construction contract disputes, energy disputes and general corporate issues.
Awards and Recognition
Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
The Best Lawyers in America© – Energy Law
- President of the Nevada Tax Payers Association
- Member of State Bar of Nevada’s Southern Nevada Disciplinary Panel
- Former Member, American Arbitration Association/International Centre for Dispute Resolution (AAA/ICDR), North American
- Former Chairman of the Nevada Ethics Commission
- Former Member of the Energy Advisory Committee
- Former Member, Energy Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Former Member, Nevada State Bar Professionalism Committee
- Former President, Clark County Bar Association
- Former Chair, Clark County Law Foundation
- Former Member, American Arbitration Association Energy Advisory Committee
- Former Member, Nevada State Bar Judicial Ethics and Elections Committee
- Former Co-Chair, Nevada State Bar Administrative Law Committee
- Former Chair, Nevada Tax Commission
- Former Member, Nevada Public Radio Board of Directors
- Former Member, UNLV Statewide Law School Advisory Panel
August 20, 2018 – McDonald Carano is pleased to announce new recognition in the 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. Attorneys recognized include: Matthew C. Addison, Partner, Commercial…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.