- J.D., University of Nevada, Las Vegas, William S. Boyd School of Law, 2004
- B.A., Criminal Justice, University of Nevada, Reno, 2001
Ryan Works is Chair of the Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Financial Restructuring Group with McDonald Carano, working primarily in the areas of corporate bankruptcy and insolvency and business litigation.
Mr. Works regularly represents creditors and debtors both in and out of bankruptcy, under Chapter 11 and 7 of the Bankruptcy Code. His experience includes representing businesses in the retail, restaurant, transportation, technology, hotel, entertainment, real estate and service industries.
Mr. Works has represented the debtor in possession and successfully restructured several businesses. He has represented secured lenders, landlords, tenants, health care ombudsman, buyers, sellers, and other parties in interest. Mr. Works has significant experience prosecuting and defending avoidance actions, adversary cases, and related litigation and has handled various fraud cases and non-discharge matters on behalf of his clients.
In addition to his bankruptcy practice, Mr. Works is a member of the firm’s litigation department, with a focus on construction law, mechanics’ lien litigation, real estate law, commercial financing disputes under the Uniform Commercial Code, partnership disputes, corporate governance matters, and general defense of many local and national clients in federal and state courts.
- In re Las Vegas Monorail II: Represented the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority in the successful acquisition of the Las Vegas Monorail under Section 363 of the Code.
- In re Lucky Dragon: Represented EB5 Investors.
- In re CM Ebar, LLC: Successfully confirmed Chapter 11 plan, restructuring and selling assets of National restaurant chain – Elephant Bar
- In re PrimeCare: Represented the patient care ombudsman in a successful Chapter 11 confirmation of a rural hospital in Tonopah, Nevada.
- In re TEM Enterprises dba Xtra Airways: Represented the debtor in possession and confirmed a Chapter 11 plan of reorganization that would restructure the airline corporation with $3 million in new value to the creditors.
- In re Alphatrade.com: Confirmed a Chapter 11 liquidation plan of an international stock data firm, representing the debtor in possession, and successfully defeated a motion to convert the case to Chapter 7 at trial.
- In re West Charleston Lofts, LLC: Represented the debtor in possession in the successful reorganization of a $4 million credit facility collateralized by several luxury loft units in Summerlin, Las Vegas.
- In re Asset Resolution: Represented a buyer in a 363 sale of a dual apartment tower complex in Houston, Texas, valued at more than $20 million, and represented bonafide purchasers in adversary litigation for the avoidance and recovery of an alleged fraudulent transfer.
- In re Whitton Corporation: Represented a secured creditor and confirmed a Chapter 11 restructure of approximately $100 million in commercial real-estate-backed debt.
- In re Comm Partners Holding Corporation: Represented a buyer in a 363 sale of hosted services assets.
- In re Lake Las Vegas Joint Venture et. al.: Represented an official committee of unsecured creditors in a Chapter 11 case regarding the restructuring of the Lake Las Vegas subdivision.
- See also: ESSEX Real Estate Partners, Cool Concepts, Glyeco West Virginia, Desert Capitol REIT; Ameri-Dream Realty; Ebenezer Church of Christ; Data Con Systems; South Procyon, LLC; Greenland Supermarket Inc.; Nevada Cancer Institute; Murder Inc.; Nora’s Wine Bar and Osteria; Integrated Financial Associates; Carefree Willows, LLC (residents’ committee).
Awards and Recognition
- Vegas Inc. “Top Lawyers” – Bankruptcy Law (2022)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated (Since 2012)
- The Best Lawyers in America – Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2020-2023), Commercial Litigation (2019-2023), Bankruptcy Litigation (2023)
- Nevada Business Magazine “Legal Elite/Top Ranked Attorneys” (2013-2022)
- Nevada Business Magazine “Legal Elite/Best Up & Coming Attorneys” (2009-2012)
- Super Lawyers Magazine “Mountain States Rising Star” (2011-2012) and “Mountain States Super Lawyer” (2013-2022) – Bankruptcy/Business, Creditor and Debtor Rights/Business, Business Litigation
Professional Affiliations and Community Engagement
- McDonald Carano Executive Committee Member
- Governor, Board of Governors, State Bar of Nevada, 2015-2018
- Chairman, Nevada State Bar Young Lawyers Section, 2009-2010
- Leadership Las Vegas, class of 2009
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Bankruptcy Committee, Chair of the Small Business Subcommittee
- Member, Las Vegas Founders, 2006-2009
- Member, First Tee of Southern Nevada, 2011-2014
McDonald Carano congratulates Ryan Works on 15 consecutive years of receiving awards and recognitions from numerous legal profession publications and ranking organizations! Ryan is Chair of our Bankruptcy, Insolvency &…
McDonald Carano proudly announces that 10 attorneys in our Reno and Las Vegas offices received recognition in four areas of law in the Mountain States Super Lawyers list for 2022….
McDonald Carano congratulates 10 attorneys in our Las Vegas office who are recognized as “Top Lawyers” in the Vegas Inc./Las Vegas Weekly 2022 list of the “best in our community…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.