Areas of Practice
- U.S. District Court for Nevada
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- LL.M. in Taxation, New York University School of Law, 1980
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1979
- B.S., Santa Clara University, 1976
Robert Armstrong is nationally recognized for his representation of high-net-worth clients and family trust companies. His practice is focused on estate, gift, generation-skipping, and income tax planning, as well as the administration of trusts and estates, business and real estate transactions, and the formation, operation, and governance of family trust and retail trust companies.
Mr. Armstrong also has extensive experience in the areas of charitable giving, tax-exempt organizations, and state and local taxation, including the Nevada Commerce Tax. He has more than forty years of legal experience serving clients as an attorney, and as a non-practicing certified public accountant.
2021 was the fifth consecutive year that Mr. Armstrong was ranked as only one of two Band 1 attorneys in Nevada in the Chambers High Net Worth Guide for Private Wealth Law.
“Armstrong is especially notable for his work on the establishment and administration of Nevada-based private trust companies. He totally understands all aspects of finance and deal structures, and is a well-recognized expert in the area of high net worth trust construction, wills and estate planning.” “He is highly knowledgeable and skilled, and is known and respected by estate regulators.” “He is very smart, organized and creative, a good communicator and very good at articulating complex concepts.”
– Chambers High Net Worth Guide for Private Wealth Law, 2020, 2021
Mr. Armstrong is frequently called upon to lecture on topics such as Nevada trust law, family trust companies, and tax matters at national and local seminars and forums. He serves on the Trust & Estates Section Legislative Committee of the Nevada State Bar where he is involved in the ongoing modernization of Nevada trust laws.
Mr. Armstrong is a third-generation Nevadan, with family roots going back to Virginia City’s Comstock Lode, and is very active in community and philanthropic endeavors.
Chief Author: Decedent Estates Chapter of the Nevada Civil Practice Manual (Lexis Nexis Publications) (1990 – 2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rating
- Chambers High Net Worth Guide, Band 1, Nevada, Private Wealth Law (2017-2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Corporate Law (2008-2020), Tax Law (2008-2022), Trusts and Estates Litigation (2011-2022), Nonprofit / Charities Law (2013-2022), Business Organizations (2020-2022), Trusts and Estates (1997-2022)
- The Best Lawyers in America© “Lawyer of the Year” – Reno, Trusts and Estates Litigation (2014, 2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America© “Lawyer of the Year” – Reno, Tax Law (2016, 2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America© “Lawyer of the Year” – Reno, Non-Profit/Charities Law (2015, 2017)
- The Best Lawyers in America© “Lawyer of the Year” – Reno, Corporate Law (2010, 2015)
- The Best Lawyers in America© “Lawyer of the Year” – Reno, Trusts and Estates (2014)
- Super Lawyers Magazine – “Mountain States Super Lawyer” in Estate Planning & Probate, Tax/Business, Corporate/Business (2007-2021)
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (also served as state chairman)
- Fellow, American College of Tax Counsel
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Nevada Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Emeritus Trustee, University of Nevada, Reno Foundation
- Former Chair, University of Nevada, Reno Foundation Investment Committee
- Co-Founder and Trustee Emeritus, Community Foundation of Western Nevada
- Former Trustee and Past President, Catholic Community Services of Northern Nevada
- Director and Past President, Athletic Association University of Nevada
- Former Director and Past President, Reno Philharmonic Association
McDonald Carano Celebrates
a Record Number of
“Lawyer of the Year” Awards
from Best Lawyers in America
McDonald Carano proudly announces that seven lawyers in our Reno and Las Vegas offices received “Lawyer of the Year” awards in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers in America. Over…
Best Lawyers in America Recognizes Seven Lawyers’ Expertise in Trust & Estate Planning, Litigation and Tax
McDonald Carano proudly announces that Best Lawyers in America recognized seven lawyers in our Reno and Las Vegas offices for their expertise in trust and estate planning and litigation, and…
McDonald Carano proudly announces that Best Lawyers in America recognized eight of our Reno and Las Vegas lawyers and six of their specialty areas of business law expertise: (1) Corporate…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.