Richard M. Trachok II
Areas of Practice
- LL.M., Cambridge University, Sidney Sussex College, 1984
- J.D., California Western School of Law, 1980, summa cum laude
- B.S., University of Nevada, Reno, 1974
Rick Trachok is Senior Counsel in the Gaming & Administrative Law Practice Group at McDonald Carano. Mr. Trachok has an extensive background in gaming law, particularly from the international perspective. Clients frequently turn to Mr. Trachok for his knowledge of the complexities of the licensing issues facing European companies, as well as his understanding of the unique aspects of European ownership structures, finances, and culture. Mr. Trachok’s expertise in the highly regulated gaming industry is also sought after by clients involved in utility regulation. Mr. Trachok was a deputy district attorney with the Washoe County District Attorney’s Office before going into private practice.
Mr. Trachok currently serves as Chairman of Compliance for the German gaming Group, Gauselmann AG, and has been responsible for obtaining gaming licenses for them in approximately 200 jurisdictions. He is also Chairman of the Global Compliance and Governance Committee for London-based IGT, obtaining gaming licenses in Nevada and other jurisdictions. In addition to his gaming work, Mr. Trachok also focuses on utility regulation. He worked as the lead outside regulatory counsel for NV Energy and handled all rate and resource planning cases for the Public Utilities Commission of Nevada from 2006 through 2013.
Mr. Trachok served 15 years as an adjunct professor at UNR, teaching construction law in the graduate construction management program (1988-2003). He was also an adjunct professor at the University of San Francisco School of Law from 2006 to 2013, teaching the Laws of International Trade. Mr. Trachok is currently an adjunct professor at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law, teaching the Law of International Trade and Gaming Law.
- Currently serves as Chairman of Compliance and a member of the Supervisory Board of Directors of Germany-based Gauselmann AG, obtaining gaming licenses in approximately 200 jurisdictions.
- Currently serves as lead outside counsel for London-based International Game Technology PLC (IGT), obtaining gaming licenses in Nevada and other jurisdictions and representing IGT in all gaming matters before the Nevada Gaming Commission.
- Currently serves as Chairman of the Global Compliance and Governance Committee for IGT.
- Guides numerous clients in obtaining appropriate licensure in the area of internet gaming.
- Currently serves as the Nevada regulatory counsel for First Solar.
- Served as lead outside regulatory counsel for NV Energy from 2006 through 2013 handling all rate cases and resource planning cases before the Public Utilities Commission of Nevada.
- Assisted in obtaining regulatory approvals for the MidAmerican/Berkshire acquisition of NV Energy in December 2013.
- Author, “Nevada Construction Law and Mechanic’s Liens,” 1995
- Author, “Nevada Civil Practice Manual, Chapter on Nevada Bond and Lien Law,” State Bar of Nevada
- Co-Author, “Fifty State Public Construction Contracting, Chapter on Nevada Law,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1995
- Author, “Fifty State Construction Lien and Bond Law, Chapter on Nevada Law,” Aspen Publishers, 1995
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV PreeminentTM Rating
- The Best Lawyers in America© “Lawyer of the Year” – Administrative / Regulatory Law (2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Administrative / Regulatory Law, Energy Law, Gaming Law (2021)
- Nevada Business Magazine “Legal Elite” (one of Nevada’s top International Gaming and Regulatory Law attorneys)
Bar Associations: State Bar of Nevada; Washoe County Bar Association, New York Bar Association, District of Columbia Bar Association, American Bar Association, International Bar Association, and American Arbitration Association
Currently a Lecturer at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law teaching Gaming Law, the Law of International Trade, and the Law of International Business Transactions
Sage Ridge School, Member of Emeritus Board of Trustees
Nevada State Bar Board of Governors, Ex Officio Member (2020-2021 term)
Nevada Board of Bar Examiners, former Chair and current Board Member since 1991,
Nevada Board of Regents, extensive years of service includes two terms as Chair of the Board, two terms as Vice-Chair of the Board, Chair of the Workforce, Research and Economic Development Committee, Chair of the Investment Committee and the Security Committee, Vice-Chair of the Academic, Research and Student Affairs Committee, and a Member of the Health Sciences System Committee, Cultural Diversity Committee, and the ad hoc UNLV President Search Committee (2011-2017) Adjunct professor at the University of San Francisco School of Law teaching the Laws of International Trade (2006-2013)
Governor Brian Sandoval’s Transition Team, Member, 2011
Reno Chamber Orchestra, Board of Directors, 1999-2006
Adjunct professor at the University of San Francisco School of Law, teaching the Laws of International Trade (2006-2013)
The Nature Conservancy of Nevada, Board of Directors, 2003-2009
Adjunct professor at UNR, teaching construction law in the graduate construction management program (1988-2003)
Nevada Opera, Board of Directors, 1999-2001
Tahoe Rim Trail, Honorary Director (1998-Present), Board of Directors (1993-1998)
Nevada Chapter of the Associated General Contractors, Board of Directors, 1988-1990
Reno Philharmonic, Board of Directors, 1984-1989
McDonald Carano proudly announces that five of our attorneys received the prestigious “Lawyer of the Year” award in their geographic region and specialty area of practice from The Best Lawyers…
August 20, 2020 – McDonald Carano LLP is pleased to announce that 38 of our attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America…
February 13, 2020, Reno Gazette-Journal, by Siobhan McAndrew– Nevada System of Higher Education Regent Rick Trachok won’t run for reelection when his term ends this year. “Nine years is a long…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.