Richard M. Trachok II
Areas of Practice
- New York
- LL.M., Cambridge University, Sidney Sussex College, 1984
- J.D., California Western School of Law, 1980, summa cum laude
- B.S., University of Nevada, Reno, 1974
Rick Trachok is Senior Counsel with McDonald Carano, focusing his practice on regulatory and gaming law, corporate compliance, antitrust, as well as utility regulation and commercial law. Mr. Trachok has an extensive background in gaming law, particularly from the international perspective. Clients frequently turn to Mr. Trachok for his knowledge of the complexities of the licensing issues facing European companies, as well as his understanding of the unique aspects of European ownership structures, finances and culture.
Mr. Trachok currently serves as Chairman of Compliance for the German gaming Group, Gauselmann AG, and has been responsible for obtaining gaming licenses for them in approximately 200 jurisdictions. He is also Chairman of the Global Compliance and Governance Committee for London-based IGT, obtaining gaming licenses in Nevada and other jurisdictions. In addition to his gaming work, Mr. Trachok also focuses on utility regulation. He worked as the lead outside regulatory counsel for NV Energy and handled all rate and resource planning cases for the Public Utilities Commission of Nevada from 2006 through 2013.
Mr. Trachok served 15 years as an adjunct professor at UNR, teaching construction law in the graduate construction management program (1988-2003). He was also an adjunct professor at the University of San Francisco School of Law from 2006 to 2013, teaching the Laws of International Trade. Mr. Trachok is currently an adjunct professor at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law, teaching the Law of International Trade and Gaming Law.
- Guides clients in obtaining appropriate licensure in the area of internet gaming. Currently represents International Game Technology PLC (IGT)—the largest supplier of lottery machines and services in the world – in all gaming matters before the Nevada Gaming Commission.
- Serves as the Nevada regulatory counsel for First Solar.
- Served as lead outside regulatory counsel for NV Energy from 2006 through 2013 handling rate cases and resource planning cases before the Public Utilities Commission of Nevada.
- Assisted in obtaining regulatory approvals for the MidAmerican/Berkshire acquisition of NV Energy in December 2013.
- Assisted Ormat Inc. and Far West Capital in the 1980’s with regulatory issues and project financing for a number of geothermal power projects.
- Author, “Nevada Construction Law and Mechanic’s Liens,” 1995
- Author, “Nevada Civil Practice Manual, Chapter on Nevada Bond and Lien Law,” State Bar of Nevada
- Co-Author, “Fifty State Public Construction Contracting, Chapter on Nevada Law,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1995
- Author, “Fifty State Construction Lien and Bond Law, Chapter on Nevada Law,” Aspen Publishers, 1995
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV PreeminentTM Rating
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2021 – Administrative / Regulatory Law, Energy Law, Gaming Law
- Nevada Business Magazine – Legal Elite, one of Nevada’s top International Gaming and Regulatory Law attorneys
- Bar Associations: State Bar of Nevada; Washoe County Bar Association; New York Bar Association; District of Columbia Bar Association; American Bar Association; and International Bar Association
- Reno Philharmonic, Board of Directors, 1984-1989
- Nevada Chapter of the Associated General Contractors, Board of Directors, 1988-1990
- Nevada Opera, Board of Directors, 1999-2001
- Reno Chamber Orchestra, Board of Directors, 1999-2006
- The Nature Conservancy of Nevada, Board of Directors, 2003-2009
- Gauselmann AG, Supervisory Board of Directors, 1998-present
- Sage Ridge School, Member of Emeritus Board of Trustees
- American Arbitration Association
- Tahoe Rim Trail, Honorary Director (1998-Present); Board of Directors, 1993-1998, 1993-present
- Bar Examiners for the State of Nevada, current Chair of the Board and Board Member since 1991
- Governor Brian Sandoval’s Transition Team, Member, 2011
- Workforce Research and Economic Development Committee, Former Chair, 2011-present
- Academic and Student Affairs Committee and the Cultural Diversity Committee, Former Member
- Nevada System of Higher Education Board of Regents, Chairman 2015, Vice Chairman 2013-2015
February 13, 2020, Reno Gazette-Journal, by Siobhan McAndrew– Nevada System of Higher Education Regent Rick Trachok won’t run for reelection when his term ends this year. “Nine years is a long…
Las Vegas, Nevada, August 15, 2019 – McDonald Carano LLP is pleased to announce new recognition in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. McDonald Carano attorneys recognized…
August 20, 2018 – McDonald Carano is pleased to announce new recognition in the 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. Attorneys recognized include: Matthew C. Addison, Partner, Commercial…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.