Philip M. Mannelly
Areas of Practice
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
- J.D., University of Notre Dame Law School
- M.B.A., Financial Valuation and Investment Management, Lynn University
- B.S., Business Administration, Lynn University
- A.A., Liberal Studies, Feather River College
Philip Mannelly is an attorney in the Construction Law & Litigation, Commercial & Complex Litigation, and Employment & Labor Law teams at McDonald Carano. He represents clients in a wide range of business litigation matters, with a primary focus on the construction industry, including prime contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, suppliers, and owners. Mr. Mannelly regularly assists clients as they navigate the unique construction laws in Nevada, advising them on complex contracts, licensing issues, mechanics’ liens, and payment claims.
Mr. Mannelly serves as outside general counsel to the Nevada Chapter of the Associated General Contractors (AGC) and multiple contractors in Nevada and Northern California. In December 2022, Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak appointed Mr. Mannelly to the Public Works Board for the State of Nevada.
Mr. Mannelly’s experience includes representing owners, developers, contractors, and subcontractors through contract negotiations and project implementation for various types of delivery methods such as design-bid-build, design-build, and construction manager at risk (CMAR) for all types of projects, including energy, mining, manufacturing, industrial, warehousing, higher education, commercial, residential, civil infrastructure, mixed-use, lodging, entertainment, and transportation. Mr. Mannelly has litigation experience in all forums including arbitration, state court, and federal court.
Whether planning projects, counseling on claims resolution or actively litigating a construction claim, Mr. Mannelly works toward each client’s business objectives for the specific project. Whether the objective is project completion, revenue generation, or cost management, the focus is the same – forward progress.
Prior to joining McDonald Carano, Mr. Mannelly served as a Judicial Extern to the Honorable Larry R. Hicks with the United States District Court, District of Nevada.
Nevada Chapter of Associated General Contractors
- Drafted amicus brief and performed oral argued at district court and Nevada Supreme Court for AGC and multiple other business associations throughout Nevada — Silverwing Dev., et al v. Nevada State Contractors Board, Case No. 79134 (Nevada Supreme Court).
- Represent AGC and other business associations on behalf of themselves and their members in Davis-Bacon Act and Administrative Procedure Act dispute — AGC, et al. v. Marty Walsh, Secretary of the United States Department of Labor, Case No. 3:21-cv-00430.
- Represented AGC in private arbitration against a labor organization related to disputed collective bargaining agreement and related trust agreements terms and conditions.
Construction Industry Matters
- Currently serve as outside general counsel for various general contractors and subcontractors throughout Nevada and Northern California.
- Represented subcontractor in AAA arbitration successfully prosecuting non-payment claims and defending delay allegations against the project’s general contractor, resulting in final judgment in favor of subcontractor.
- Represented low-bid general contractor defeating bid protest on public works project in Road and Highway Builders, LLC v. Q&D Construction, LLC, et al., Case No. 75176 (Nevada Supreme Court).
- Represented second-low-bidder in bid protest on public works project in Nevada, resulting in non-award to the low-bidder.
- Represented contractors in multiple mechanic’s lien foreclosure actions in Nevada courts, including through judgment and initiating foreclosure proceedings.
- Represented general contractor in lawsuit related to defective work dispute against subcontractors on large industrial construction project, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Represented petroleum supplier against the General Services Administration before the United States Civilian Board of Contract Appeals, resulting in favorable settlement in a contract terms payments dispute.
- Represented employers in multiple cases against various construction industry Taft-Hartley Funds related to contributions and terms and conditions of collective bargaining agreements and related trust agreements.
- Represented lenders on due diligence issues for several multi-million-dollar construction projects in Nevada.
- Represented developer in contract negotiations on expected billion-dollar construction project in Nevada.
- Lewis v. Renown Regional Medical Center, Inc., Case No. 74300 (Nevada Supreme Court) (medical malpractice and statute of limitations dispute)
- Turner v. Renown Regional Medical Center, Inc., Case No. 77312 (Nevada Supreme Court) (medical malpractice and statute of limitations dispute)
- Fitz v. Maiss, Case No. 80888 (Nevada Supreme Court) (contractual terms payment dispute)
- Carone v. Div. of Indus. Relations, Case No. 70718 (Nevada Supreme Court)
- Office of Military Legal Assistance – Volunteer
- Lawyer in the Library – Volunteer
Awards and Recognition
- Northern Nevada Business Weekly, Best In Business awards, “Up & Coming Business Person” (2022)
- Nevada Business Magazine “Legal Elite/Top Rank Attorneys” and “Legal Elite/Best Up & Coming Attorneys” (2022)
- Contributor, annual updates, “Construction Laws and Customs: Nevada State Q&A,” Thomson Reuters Practical Law publication
- “Nevada Mechanic’s Lien Law Seminar,” Associated General Contractors of Nevada, June 23, 2022
- “New COVID Vaccine Requirements for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors,” Associated General Contractors of Nevada, October 13, 2021
Professional Associations and Community Engagement
- Member, Board of Trustees, Academy of Career Education (Reno, NV)
- Bruce R. Thompson American Inn of Court
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Nevada
- Washoe County Bar Association
Top 5 Construction Litigation Questions from Private Sector Owners, Contractors, and Suppliers
Residential, commercial, industrial, and mixed-use construction rapidly expanded throughout Nevada during the past few years. The number of completed and proposed projects grew beyond most expectations, especially in light of…
Gubernatorial Appointee to the State Public Works Board
McDonald Carano congratulates Phil Mannelly on his appointment to the Public Works Board for the State of Nevada. Governor Steve Sisolak announced Phil’s appointment on Dec. 23 for the term…
1st Place Law Firm and 1st Place Most Philanthropic Company in Best In Business Contest
Northern Nevada Business Weekly announced the results of its 2022 Best In Business contest and McDonald Carano LLP received the highest number of votes in two categories – Law Firm…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.