Areas of Practice
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- J.D., Valedictorian, with Great Distinction, Order of the Coif, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 1989
- M.S., Exercise Sciences, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, 1983
- B.S., Exercise Sciences, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, 1980
Pat Lundvall is a highly skilled litigator who serves as Co-Chair of the Commercial & Complex Litigation Practice Group. She represents Fortune 500 companies and Nevada businesses as their primary outside counsel in every phase of complex commercial litigation.
Pat has successfully represented clients in judge and jury trials in state and federal courts, as well as on appeal to the Nevada Supreme Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court. She also acts as local, coordinating counsel in complex multidistrict litigation, responsible for substantive contributions to the successful resolution of these sophisticated matters.
Pat is particularly experienced in handling complex business disputes involving business entity disputes and dissolutions, healthcare, fraud including government fraud, unfair trade practices, unfair competition, RICO and antitrust violations, among others. She also represents clients in matters involving employment law, defamation, deprivation of constitutional rights, and wrongful death.
In the Chambers USA ranking of leading lawyers in Nevada Commercial Litigation, client references highlight that Pat “is a zealous advocate” and an “excellent litigator.” “She provides a clear understanding of the legal process every step of the way. She is extremely knowledgeable and an expert in her field.” “Pat is one of the best trial lawyers I’ve ever seen, possessing perseverance, tenacity, good judgment and composure under intense pressure.” “Pat is our partner on serious litigation matters and has provided outstanding client service. She has our best interests in mind at all times.”
Pat has litigated literally hundreds of cases in her career. Some of her recent, noteworthy representations include:
- Franchise Tax Board Of California v. Hyatt, Before the Supreme Court of The United States
• Law360 | States Can’t Be Sued In Other States’ Courts Justices Say
McDonald Carano represented the Franchise Tax Board of California (FTB) on this case since 1998. The victory for our client overturned 40-year-old SCOTUS precedent addressing issues of sovereign immunity. McDonald Carano argued the case to the Nevada Supreme Court several times. This decision resulted from our third trip to the United States Supreme Court on behalf of the FTB.
• Supreme Court of The United States Opinion
- Pardee Homes of Nevada v. Wolfram et. al., Before the Southern Nevada Panel, Justice Hardesty Presiding
• 1/23/19 NSC Oral Argument
- John B. Quinn, Michael T. Zeller, Michael l. Fazio, Ian S. Shelton, Elaine P. Wynn v. The Eighth Judicial District Court of the State of Nevada, in and for the County of Clark; and The Honorable Elizabeth Gonzalez, District Judge, Nevada Supreme Court Case No. 74519;
• 12/4/17 NSC Oral Argument
- California Franchise Tax Board in Gilbert P. Hyatt v. FTB, a case alleging invasion of privacy and government fraud
• 5/2/17 NSC Oral Argument
• 5/7/12 NSC Oral Argument
- Governor James Gibbons in Chrissy Mazzeo v. James Gibbons et. al., a case alleging assault and deprivation of constitutional rights;
- Amerco, the parent company of U-Haul International, in Paul Shoen v. Amerco et.al., a shareholder derivative case alleging insider dealing;
- Bristol-Myers Squibb in State of Nevada v. Bristol-Myers Squibb et. al., a case alleging price fixing;
- D.R. Horton, Inc., in multiple homeowner cases alleging mortgage fraud;
- Pardee Homes of Nevada v. A.D. Seeno Construction concerning development of Coyote Springs;
- Five Mile Capital v. Jeff and Jackie Soffer in a dispute over development to Town Square Lifestyle Center;
- Landmark Homes and Development in Sierra Gateway Ventures v. Landmark, et. al., a case alleging breach of contract and bad faith;
- Pardee Homes of Nevada and Weyerhaeuser Real Estate Company, in J.P. Morgan v. Pardee et. al., a case alleging breach of contract;
- Southwest Gas Corporation in Richard de los Reyes v. Southwest Gas Corporation, a case alleging employment discrimination;
- George Stephanopoulos and Little Brown Company in Gennifer Flowers v. James Carville et. al., a case alleging defamation;
- Southern Wine and Spirits of America, Inc., in SWS v. Bacardi-Martini USA, a case alleging unfair trade practices.
12/17/18 Pat Lundvall Oral Argument in Winecup, Inc. v. Gordon Ranch LP
02/04/21 Pat Lundvall Oral Argument in Emergency Group of Arizona PC v. United Healthcare, Inc.
All of these matters are the subject of reported decisions or public dockets.
- Author, The Rise and Fall of the Antitrust Exemption for the Business of Insurance, John Stauffer Memorial published by the University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law, June 1989
- Chapter on Pretrial Conferences, Nevada Civil Practice Manual
- Numerous publications for professional seminars
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers USA Guide –Commercial Litigation (2017-2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Commercial Litigation (2006-2022), Labor and Employment Litigation (2011-2022)
- Super Lawyers Magazine “Mountain States Super Lawyer” – Business Litigation (2007-2021)
- Nevada Business Magazine “Legal Elite” (2009, 2011, 2015, 2017)
- Las Vegas Business Press – “Female Business Leaders”
- Co-Founder: Complex Commercial Litigation Institute (CCLI)
- Senior Fellow: Litigation Counsel of America
- Board Certified in Civil Litigation by National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified as Civil Trial Advocacy Specialist by State Bar of Nevada
- Certified Advocate, National Board of Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy
- “Distinguished Nevadan” Award presented by University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- “New Thinking About Thinking” Award from Keep Memory Alive / The Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health
Relevant Community Engagement
- Former Commissioner and Past Chairman: Nevada State Athletic Commission
- Public Private Partnership Advisory Panel to Nevada Department of Transportation
- Board Member: Friends of the Nevada Mansion
- Board Member: Nevada Military Support Alliance
McDonald Carano proudly announces that Chambers USA 2021 has ranked our Commercial & Complex Litigation Practice in the highly regarded Band 1 category, which is Chambers’ most prestigious recognition of “legal knowledge and…
Las Vegas, Nevada, June 3, 2021 – McDonald Carano LLP is pleased to announce that eleven attorneys from the firm are recognized as 2021 Mountain States Super Lawyers and four…
August 20, 2020 – McDonald Carano LLP is pleased to announce that 38 of our attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.