- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- J.D., Santa Clara University, 1991
- B.A., UCLA, International Relations, 1988
A lifelong Reno resident, Matt Addison joined McDonald Carano in 1989. Since that time the firm has expanded, diversified, and the landscape of Nevada has become more technology-centric. Mr. Addison, now the Managing Partner of the firm’s Reno Office, is helping to guide the firm into this future with a strategic vision aimed at distinguishing the firm as a bold innovator in the legal industry.
Known for his ability to solve complicated issues, Mr. Addison’s practice has continued to expand as well. Over the last decade, he has handled a broad range of litigation matters, ranging from traditional personal injury and property damage cases, to mechanic’s liens and payment actions for contractors, to general business disputes.
Complex Commercial & Construction Litigation
Mr. Addison has extensive experience managing all aspects of substantial liability matters, including motion practice, discovery, arbitration, and bench and jury trials in city, state, and federal courts, and appeals before the Nevada Supreme Court. He routinely serves as local counsel for attorneys from national and regional firms, with substantial personal involvement in and responsibility for the planning and implementation of litigation strategies.
In his current practice, Mr. Addison is well known for handling sophisticated commercial litigation matters, primarily in business courts, such as shareholder derivative actions, allegations of personal liability for business defaults, and real property disputes involving significant telecommunications companies. He also defends major products liability actions, with significant damage claims, for a propane gas distributor, tractor-trailer manufacturer, and a forklift manufacturer. Finally, Mr. Addison regularly negotiates complex construction agreements, defends major defect claims and prosecutes substantial payment claims by contractors.
Dispute Resolution Services
Over the course of his extended service as a pro tem trial judge in the Reno Municipal Court, Mr. Addison has heard and decided over fifty criminal trials. As a court-appointed and private arbitrator, he has issued binding decisions in numerous fee dispute, breach of contract, personal injury, and construction matters. As a private mediator and settlement conference pro tem judge, Mr. Addison has also successfully negotiated resolutions to complex business disputes and breach of construction contract matters.
- Amerigas Propane, L.P.
- CenturyLink Communications
- Reno/Sparks Association of Realtors
- Savage & Son, Inc.
- Sierra Builders of Nevada
Awards and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Commercial Litigation and Litigation – Construction
- The Best Lawyers in America© “Lawyer of the Year” 2016, Litigation – Construction
- Nevada Business Magazine “Legal Elite” – Commercial & Complex Litigation, Construction Law and Litigation
- Lawyer Representative, United States District Court
- President, Washoe County Bar Association
- Member, American Inns of Court, Bruce R. Thompson Chapter
- President, Association of Defense Counsel of Northern Nevada
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel
- Washoe County Honorary Deputy Sheriffs’ Association
- Graduate, Truckee Meadows Citizens’ Police Academy
- Court Appointed Pro Tem Judge
- Court Appointed Arbitrator and Mediator
February 13, 2020, Northern Nevada Business Weekly “Breakfast and Business” Panel Discussion– Matt Addison was a panelist for the February Breakfast & Business” meeting. Northern Nevada’s business outlook and economic development…
January 24, 2020, Law360, by Erin Coe — Hitting the snooze button instead of the gym. Letting that attorney’s email get under your skin. Checking your smartphone nonstop. Skipping a couple…
Las Vegas, Nevada, August 15, 2019 – McDonald Carano LLP is pleased to announce new recognition in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. McDonald Carano attorneys recognized…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.