- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- J.D., Santa Clara University, 1991
- B.A., UCLA, International Relations, 1988
A lifelong Reno resident, Matt Addison joined McDonald Carano in 1989. Since that time the firm has expanded, diversified, and the landscape of Nevada has become more technology-centric. Mr. Addison, the Managing Partner of the firm’s Reno Office, is helping to guide the firm into this future with a strategic vision aimed at distinguishing the firm as a bold innovator in the legal industry. Mr. Addison also serves as Chair of the Construction Law & Litigation Practice Group.
Known for his ability to solve complicated issues, Mr. Addison’s practice has continued to expand as well. Over the last decade, he has handled a broad range of litigation matters, ranging from traditional personal injury and property damage cases, to mechanic’s liens and payment actions for contractors, to general business disputes.
Complex Commercial & Construction Litigation
Mr. Addison has extensive experience managing all aspects of substantial liability matters, including motion practice, discovery, arbitration, and bench and jury trials in city, state, and federal courts, and appeals before the Nevada Supreme Court. He routinely serves as local counsel for attorneys from national and regional firms, with substantial personal involvement in and responsibility for the planning and implementation of litigation strategies.
In his current practice, Mr. Addison is well known for handling sophisticated commercial litigation matters, primarily in business courts, such as shareholder derivative actions, allegations of personal liability for business defaults, and real property disputes involving significant telecommunications companies. He also defends major products liability actions, with significant damage claims, for a propane gas distributor, tractor-trailer manufacturer, and a forklift manufacturer. Finally, Mr. Addison regularly negotiates complex construction agreements, defends major defect claims and prosecutes substantial payment claims by contractors.
Dispute Resolution Services
Over the course of his extended service as a pro tem trial judge in the Reno Municipal Court, Mr. Addison has heard and decided over fifty criminal trials. As a court-appointed and private arbitrator, he has issued binding decisions in numerous fee dispute, breach of contract, personal injury, and construction matters. As a private mediator and settlement conference pro tem judge, Mr. Addison has also successfully negotiated resolutions to complex business disputes and breach of construction contract matters.
- Amerigas Propane, L.P.
- CenturyLink Communications
- Reno/Sparks Association of Realtors
- Savage & Son, Inc.
- Sierra Builders of Nevada
Awards and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Commercial Litigation (2008-2022), Construction Litigation (2011-2022), Construction Law (2020-2022)
- The Best Lawyers in America© “Lawyer of the Year” – Construction Litigation (2016)
- Nevada Business Magazine “Legal Elite” (2011, 2012, 2015-2018, 2020)
- Lawyer Representative, United States District Court
- President, Washoe County Bar Association
- Member, American Inns of Court, Bruce R. Thompson Chapter
- President, Association of Defense Counsel of Northern Nevada
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Professional Associations and Community Engagement
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel
- Washoe County Honorary Deputy Sheriffs’ Association
- Nevada Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Graduate, Truckee Meadows Citizens’ Police Academy
- Court Appointed Pro Tem Judge
- Court Appointed Arbitrator and Mediator
McDonald Carano proudly announces that 37 of our lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America, the leading peer-review…
McDonald Carano proudly announces that five lawyers in our Reno office received “Lawyer of the Year” awards in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers in America. The Reno office now…
McDonald Carano is proud to announce that 19 of our litigators in Reno and Las Vegas have been recognized in Best Lawyers in America 2022 in six areas of litigation…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.