Kelci S. Binau
Areas of Practice
- J.D., With Great Distinction, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, with Tax & Business Concentration
- Master of Education in Elementary Education, University of Nevada, Reno
- B.A., Speech Communication, Minor in Women's Studies, University of Nevada, Reno
Kelci S. Binau is an attorney in the Business Entities & Transactions, Gaming & Administrative Law, and Trust & Estates Law Practice Groups at McDonald Carano. Kelci serves as Vice Chair of the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee and Vice Chair of the Associates Committee.
In her corporate law practice, Ms. Binau guides companies with a comprehensive range of commercial transactions involving formation, incorporation, governance, operation, growth and mergers and acquisitions. She has assisted clients with designing their corporate structure, domesticating, merging and converting foreign and domestic entities, and acquiring state and city business licenses. Ms. Binau’s clients include publicly traded corporations, privately held businesses and startups in a wide range of industry sectors, including hospitality, entertainment, technology, education, healthcare, accounting, financial services, retail, manufacturing, and transportation.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Ms. Binau has assisted entities and individuals in navigating the complexities of the CARES Act and the American Rescue Plan Act, including the continually evolving regulations surrounding various government assistance programs, such as the Paycheck Protection Program Loan (PPP).
Ms. Binau’s practice also focuses on gaming and administrative law, and includes experience with various Nevada and multi-jurisdictional applications and 50-state gaming surveys concerning contests, sweepstakes and skill games legality. She also assists clients regarding communication with regulatory agencies and boards within the gaming industry. She provides licensing, approval and compliance assistance to companies involved in the development, management, financing, acquisition and restructuring of gaming projects in both the casino and on-line gaming markets. Her clients include owners and operators of casinos, on-line/mobile operators, manufacturers of gaming equipment and software, eSports entities, and traditional and non-traditional investors and lenders.
Ms. Binau helps clients obtain and maintain licenses and approvals and provides assistance and guidance throughout all steps in the process, including initial application, investigation and interview, public hearing on suitability, and ongoing obligations to update regulators. She also has experience with waivers or exemptions from licensing requirements on behalf of clients that do not exert the required control over the gaming enterprise.
In addition to license applications and compliance issues, Ms. Binau assists clients with commission investigations.
Additionally, Ms. Binau has experience with the foundational elements of Trust and Estate Planning with an emphasis on asset protection and wealth preservation, fiduciary and beneficiary representation, foundation and tax-exempt organization initiatives, gaming trusts and generation-skipping, gift and income tax planning.
Awards and Recognition
- Nevada Women’s Fund, Women of Achievement Honoree (2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Administrative and Regulatory Law (2022-2023)
Presentations and Publications
- “Self-regulation for Emerging Gaming Verticals, including Esports”, International Masters of Gaming Law Spring Conference, April 26-28, 2023
- “The Future of eSports in Nevada’s Gaming Industry: Betting on the Next Generation”, 2022 Gaming Law Conference, Gaming Law Section of the State Bar of Nevada – November 18, 2022
- “Recent Leadership and Position Changes within the Nevada Gaming Control Board,” Nevada Gaming Lawyer – September 2022
- “Nevada Changes Restricted Gaming License Requirements for Individuals,” McDonald Carano Legal Update, June 1, 2022
- Member, State Bar of Nevada
- Member, State Bar of California
- Member, Washoe County Bar Association
- Member, Clark County Bar Association
- Member, Northern Nevada Women Lawyers Association
- Member, International Association of Gaming Advisors
- Member, International Masters of Gaming Law
- Member, Global Gaming Women (GGW): (1) Moderator of a professional mentorship and career development Lean-In Circle and (2) Communications and Content Liaison for the Marketing Committee
- Contributor, Washoe County Bar Association’s Millennial Minute column
2023 Honoree: Salute to Women of Achievement
McDonald Carano congratulates Kelci Binau on being an Honoree at the Salute to Women of Achievement event hosted by the Nevada Women’s Fund on May 25, 2023. The event recognizes…
McDonald Carano Earns First DEI Medallion from the Nevada State Bar
McDonald Carano is proud to be the first firm to earn the State Bar of Nevada’s new “Partner in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion” medallion in recognition of our DEI initiatives….
DEI Cultural Celebrations Subcommittee Featured in State Bar of Nevada eNews
The State Bar of Nevada asked law firms to share their Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives to facilitate ideas and conversation. In an article titled “McDonald Carano Values Diversity in…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.