Areas of Practice
- J.D., William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2021
- MPA, University of Miami, Coral Gables, 2018
- B.S., Boise State University, Boise, 2016
Karyna Armstrong is a litigation attorney in McDonald Carano’s Las Vegas office. She assists in the representation of clients in judge and jury trials in state and federal courts, as well as appeals before the Nevada Supreme Court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Karyna serves as a Vice Chair of the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee at McDonald Carano.
Karyna’s broad range of experience at McDonald Carano includes complex commercial disputes involving breach of contract, business torts, unfair competition, fiduciary duty, partnership disputes, and litigation regarding commercial transactions and contract interpretation. Karyna’s experience in law includes serving as an Extern to the Honorable James C. Mahan of the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada, a law clerk in the Las Vegas office of an international law firm, a law clerk in a cannabis law-focused law firm in Las Vegas, and a summer associate at McDonald Carano.
Born and raised in Nevada, Karyna is committed to public service and giving back to the community. Karyna contributes her legal expertise to provide pro bono services through the Children’s Attorneys Project of the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada. She also is a member of the Board of Directors of Family 2 Family Connection, a nonprofit organization that empowers and supports families to provide a safe and nurturing environment for their children through parent education and community networking.
While attending law school, Karyna served in leadership roles in numerous organizations, including Black Law Students Association Treasurer and Liaison for the Las Vegas National Bar Association, Sports and Entertainment Law Association Secretary, Student Bar Association Executive Secretary and Events Committee member, and Policy and Legislation Society committee member. She also earned a CALI Award (highest grade in class) for Lawyering Process (legal writing), was recognized as the Summer Outstanding Student (Guardianship) in the Community Service Program, and received a State Bar of Nevada Professional Development Fellowship. Karyna was a finalist in the “Making the Law Writing Competition” where she advocated for student athletes to be allowed to be paid for their name, image, and likeness in college athletics – which is now a Nevada law.
While in college, Karyna was a collegiate athlete on the Women’s Track and Field team and competed in the hammer throw. Karyna’s professional background also includes serving as a Substitute Teacher for the Clark County School District in Las Vegas and a Director of Operations Intern for the University of Miami Athletic Department in Coral Gables, Florida.
Awards and Recognition
- Profiles in Diversity Journal – “Diverse Lawyers Making a Difference,” one of only 11 lawyers to receive the award across the U.S. (2023)
- Nevada Business Magazine – “Legal Elite/Top Rank Attorneys” (2023)
Professional Affiliations & Community Engagement
- Recording Secretary, 2023-2025 Executive Board, Las Vegas Chapter of the National Bar Association.
- Chair, Marketing & Content Coordination Committee, Las Vegas Chapter of the National Bar Association
- Board Member, Family 2 Family Connection
- Member, Southern Nevada Association of Women Attorneys
Publications and Presentations
- Panel Presenter, “Breaking Barriers: Insights from Leading Women Attorneys,” organized by the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada and ACLU of Nevada, July 27, 2023
- Panel Presenter, “How to Succeed as a Summer Associate/Law Clerk at a Firm,” organized by the Career Development office of the William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, April 11, 2023
- Panel Presenter, “Conversations with Black Women in the Law,” organized by the Black Law Students Association and the Organization of Women Law Students at William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, March 30, 2023
- Author, “Students Speak, Lawmakers Listen,” UNLV Law, The Magazine of the William S. Boyd School of Law, pp. 26-27, 2021
McDonald Carano congratulates Karyna Armstrong on receiving a “Diverse Lawyers Making a Difference” award from Profiles in Diversity Journal. Karyna is one of only 11 award recipients across the U.S….
McDonald Carano proudly sponsors “Breaking Barriers: Insights from Leading Women Attorneys” hosted by the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada and ACLU of Nevada. A panel of women attorneys in…
McDonald Carano proudly announces that 17 of our attorneys are recognized as “Top Rank Attorneys” in Nevada Business Magazine’s 2023 list of the State’s top attorneys as voted by their…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.