- LL.M., University of San Francisco School of Law, Taxation Law (2020); Dean’s List Fall 2019 and Spring 2020
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, (2019)
- B.A. University of Puget Sound, Economics, dual minors in Politics & Government and Business (2016)
James Chisel is a member of the Trust & Estates Practice and Tax Law Practice. His is focuses on the planning, creation and administration of trusts and estates. James’s experience includes preparing comprehensive estate plans for married and single clients, assisting clients with trust and decedent estate administration for taxable and nontaxable estates, and representing clients in ex parte probate proceedings. He has drafted a comprehensive range of documents including probate court documents, deeds and documentation related to property transfers within estates, and documents for trust and estate administration such as certifications of trust, inventory and appraisals, and beneficiary receipts and releases.
James has also prepared estate and gift tax returns and researched state property tax issues, federal tax issues, and other estate planning, probate, and tax matters.
James served as a Summer Intern for the Honorable Barry L. Breslow and the Honorable Frances Doherty of the Second Judicial District Court of the State of Nevada in Reno.
Awards and Recognitions
- University of San Francisco School of Law (LL.M.) — CALI Award Federal Tax Procedure & Professional Responsibility; Anderson Tax Award which is given to one graduate LL.M. student each year for “superior academic performance in the tax curriculum with demonstrated commitment to the field”
- Santa Clara University School of Law (J.D.) — CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Family Wealth Management
- Washoe County Bar Association
- San Mateo County Bar Association
- Silicon Valley Bar Association
- High Tech Law Certificate, Santa Clara University School of Law
- LexisNexis Professional Research Certification
- Washington State Beekeeping Association, Journeyman
- American Sailing Association, Basic Keelboat Sailing
McDonald Carano welcomes James Chisel as a member of our Trust & Estates Practice Group and Tax Law Practice Group. His practice area is focused on the planning, creation and…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.