George F. Ogilvie III
Areas of Practice
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- U.S. Supreme Court
- J.D., University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law, 1988
- B.A., Philosophy, University of California, Los Angeles, 1985
George F. Ogilvie III is the Managing Partner of McDonald Carano. His litigation practice involves representing clients in complex construction and commercial disputes. He is recognized by the prestigious and rigorously researched Chambers USA and other publications for his courtroom skills. His clients, including publicly traded multinational corporations, national and regional construction companies, and mid-size to large local businesses, have benefited from his experience as he has successfully first-chaired dozens of jury trials, bench trials, and private arbitrations, and numerous prevailing oral arguments before the Nevada Supreme Court. Most recently, the Nevada Supreme Court affirmed a $20 million dollar judgment in favor of his client. George regularly appears before the state and federal bench, as well as before various municipal boards and governmental agencies in Southern Nevada.
“an extremely good lawyer”
– Chambers USA 2021
A native Las Vegan and fifth-generation Nevadan, George has been deeply involved in the Las Vegas community, including having served from 2007 to 2016 on the Colorado River Commission, which is charged with acquiring, managing, and protecting Nevada’s water and hydroelectric power resources from the Colorado River. George was appointed as Chairman of the Commission by Governor Gibbons in 2009, and Governor Sandoval reappointed him to that role in June 2013. He continued to serve as Chairman until 2016.
A member of the firm’s Executive Committee since 1994, the partners of the firm elected him Managing Partner in 2019. He continues his rigorous law practice, and is a member of the firm’s Construction Law Group and Litigation Practice Group.
George’s construction work primarily involves public works projects and large private commercial projects, including contractor-owner disputes, general contractor-subcontractor disputes, and construction defects. He also acts on behalf of clients with regard to licensing, bonding, and lien issues. George was lead counsel for the general contractor in the $1.1 billion litigation involving the construction of Project CityCenter, and he was also lead counsel for the general contractor in the litigation involving the $500 million Planet Hollywood Towers project. He additionally acted as lead counsel for the general contractor in the litigation involving the River Mountains Water Treatment Facility and the litigation involving the Raw Water Pumping System Expansion at Lake Mead (the “Second Straw”).
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers USA Guide, Litigation: Construction, Band 1
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2021 – Commercial Litigation, Construction Law, Litigation – Construction
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2020 “Lawyer of the Year”– Las Vegas, Construction Law
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” – Las Vegas, Litigation: Construction
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Commercial Litigation; Litigation: Construction
- Super Lawyers – Business Litigation, Construction Litigation
- Nevada Business Magazine, “Legal Elite” – Construction Law & Litigation; Commercial & Complex Litigation; Energy, Environment & Natural Resources Law
- America’s Leading Litigation Attorneys
- Trustee, Nevada Museum of Art
- Member, Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce’s Government Affairs Committee
- Past Chair, Colorado River Commission
- Past Member, Las Vegas Founders Foundation
- Past Chair, Callaway Golf Las Vegas Intercollegiate Tournament, hosted by UNLV
- Past Coach, Nevada’s Olympic Development Program
Las Vegas, Nevada, August 15, 2019 – McDonald Carano LLP is pleased to announce new recognition in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. McDonald Carano attorneys recognized…
Las Vegas, Nevada, May 31, 2019 – McDonald Carano LLP is pleased to announce that twelve attorneys from the firm were recognized as 2019 Mountain States Super Lawyers, and three…
April 29, 2019 – Chambers USA, one of the leading legal ratings agencies in the United States, has released its 2019 rankings. McDonald Carano again ranks as one of the…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.