Brian H. Schusterman
Areas of Practice
- New York
- J.D., University of California at Davis School of Law, 2004
- B.A., cum laude, Colby College, 1998
- University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, Spring 1997
- School for International Training, Chile, Fall 1996
Clients rely on Brian Schusterman for his practical and thoughtful legal advice on a wide range of matters relating to their business and commercial interests.
Since 2007, Brian has assisted Nevada and Northern California companies with commercial business transactions, business formation and governance issues, financing transactions, real estate transactions and development, franchise law mergers and acquisitions. Whether Brian is representing one of his Fortune 500 clients or a small local company, his focus remains on providing his clients with efficient and effective solutions. Brian also regularly serves as local Nevada and California counsel for complex multi-jurisdiction transactions with Nevada and California corporate and real property components.
Brian is a 2012 graduate of the Leadership Reno Sparks program sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and was named as one of the “50 Best Up & Coming Attorneys” in 2012 and among Nevada’s “Legal Elite” in 2013 and 2015 – 2017 by Nevada Business Magazine.
Representative General Corporate Counsel
- Serves as outside counsel to regional privately-held petroleum company, generally providing advice on various transactional, corporate governance, real estate and operational matters.
- Represented a regional healthcare nonprofit as outside general counsel, providing advice on corporate governance, real estate and operational matters.
- Served as Nevada counsel to, and advised, a Fortune 500 gaming company on various issues related to corporate governance, real estate and development, securities offerings and financing.
- Acted as Nevada counsel to an NYSE listed financial institution generally providing advice on various corporate governance and securities issues.
- Served as Nevada counsel to a NYSE listed Canadian multinational restaurant chain in connection with its internal reorganization.
Representative Mergers & Acquisitions
- Served as lead counsel to a regional privately-held petroleum company in its $30MM acquisition of the stock of another regional petroleum company and its related real property holdings.
- Represented a regulated regional consumer retail company in the sale of a division to a national wholesale and consumer retail company.
- Served as lead counsel to a regional healthcare nonprofit in its merger with, and acquisition of, the subsidiary of a national healthcare nonprofit.
- Represented a leading private equity firm in its acquisition of a Northern Nevada hotel and casino.
- Represented a large, privately held Nevada-based manufacturing company in the sale of its assets to a privately held national manufacturing company.
- Served as Nevada counsel to a mobile digital content provider in the sale of its assets.
Representative Financing Transactions/Offerings, Loan Workouts and Foreclosures
- Served as Nevada counsel to a Canadian-based private investment firm specializing in the metals and mining sector in connection with numerous financing transactions.
- Acted as Nevada counsel for a NYSE listed content and social media company in connection with numerous financing transactions.
- Served as Nevada counsel to a NASDAQ listed financial institution in connection with the negotiation and documentation of loan workouts, foreclosures and the disposition of Nevada real property collateral.
- Acted as outside general counsel to a Nevada subsidiary of a NASDAQ listed financial institution in connection with loan documentation, loan workouts and foreclosure and disposition of collateral.
- Served as Nevada counsel to the arranger and agent, a Taiwan Stock Exchange listed bank, in an ~$800,000,000 financing transaction.
- Represented a Fortune 500 gaming company as Nevada counsel in connection with several securities and debt offerings.
Representative Real Estate & Land Use
- Advised a Fortune 500 gaming company on the development of a condominium hotel on the Las Vegas Strip.
- Served as Northern Nevada counsel to a Fortune 500 homebuilder in connection with the development of large residential communities.
- Acted as Nevada real estate counsel to a Mountain West utilities company in its proposed acquisition of a Southern-Nevada power company and its related real property holdings.
- Advised a NYSE listed oil and natural gas exploration and production company in connection with its Nevada real property holdings.
- Acted as Nevada counsel to a Canadian-based private investment firm specializing in the metals and mining sector in connection with its Nevada real property holdings.
- Advised a NASDAQ listed alternative energy company in connection with acquiring water rights for its facility in Southern Nevada.
Awards and Recognition
Nevada Business Magazine, “Legal Elite” – Emerging Industries & Organizations; Real Estate & Land Use; Business Entities & Transactions
Nevada Business Magazine, “50 Best Up & Coming Attorneys” 2012
Sanctuary for Families, “Excellence in Pro Bono Advocacy” 2006
King Hall Legal Foundation, “Public Interest Fellow” 2002
Professional & Community Engagement
Member, Washoe County Bar Association
Member, Tahoe Truckee Bar Association
Member, Truckee Donner Chamber of Commerce
Member, Contractors Association of Truckee Tahoe
Vice President, Director, Truckee Trails Foundation
Graduate, Leadership Reno Sparks, Chamber of Commerce, Class of 2012
Former Member and Articles Editor, U.C. Davis Law Review
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.