Areas of Practice
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 1988
- MBA, University of California, Los Angeles, 1980
- B.S., with distinction, Cornell University, 1978
Practicing primarily in commercial real estate and business transactions, Mr. Gabriel is a partner in the Las Vegas office, a member of the firm’s Executive Committee, and Co-Chair of the Business Entities & Transactions Practice and the Real Estate & Land Use Practice. He is also a member of the Executive Committee of the Nevada State Bar’s Business Law Section.
Mr. Gabriel earned the AV Preeminent Peer Review rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is highly ranked in both The Best Lawyers in America and Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Clients describe Mr. Gabriel to Chambers researchers as a “particularly well-respected attorney,” “very good lawyer,” “very strong attorney,” “problem solver” and “very easy to work with.”
Mr. Gabriel represents lenders, borrowers, and guarantors in secured commercial real property and personal property financing transactions, including lender legal opinions, loan workouts and restructuring, receiverships, and foreclosures; landlords and tenants in the negotiation and drafting of retail, industrial, and office leases, resolution of lease disputes, and lease default workouts; buyers and sellers of commercial real property, business entities, and assets; common interest community owners’ associations; real estate brokers and property managers; business owners and executives in the negotiation of contracts and the resolution of contract disputes; and Nevada corporations, limited liability companies, and partnerships and their shareholders, directors, members, managers, and partners in entity formation and governance matters.
Real Estate & Land Use Planning
- Representing buyers, sellers, landlords, and tenants of commercial real estate, including land, shopping centers, office buildings, industrial buildings, multi-family apartment projects, hotels, casinos, restaurants, taverns, gas stations, and convenience stores.
- Advising clients on commercial real property due diligence, including title and survey reviews, environmental conditions, and lease and property contract abstracts.
- Representing lenders and borrowers in loans secured by commercial real property, including conventional development/construction and takeout financing, CMBS conduit financing, and mezzanine financing; representing parties in loan workouts, modifications, compromise and settlement agreements, and restructuring transactions.
- Representing title companies, real estate brokerage companies, and property management companies in connection with the legal requirements of their businesses.
- Advising developers’ and owners’ associations on the creation, governance, and operation of common-interest communities, including condominiums.
- Counseling developers on land-use entitlement matters, including zoning, variances, use permits, development agreements, and subdivision laws.
Business Entities & Transactions
- Representing corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies and their directors, shareholders, officers, partners, members, and managers in entity formation and governance.
- Representing buyers and sellers of commercial business assets, including bulk sales and the sales of restaurants, taverns, and casino assets with privileged licenses.
- Representing buyers and sellers of stock, partnership interests, and membership interests in equity transactions.
- Representing lenders and borrowers in asset-secured financing transactions pursuant to the UCC and the enforcement of UCC security interests.
- Drafting and negotiating of contracts governing a wide variety of business transactions.
Mr. Gabriel contributes depth and breadth of experience in real estate, land use, and project finance law to the firm’s Energy Practice Group by advising clients who are active in energy projects in Nevada.
His recent engagements include working with the firm’s energy lawyers as a local counsel for project owners and project lenders in connection with a 67-megawatt geothermal facility with a 207-mile, 230 kV transmission line, a 260-mile 500 kV overhead transmission line, a 150- megawatt wind farm, a 100-megawatt concentrating power plant, a 20-megawatt solar PV project, and a 20-megawatt biomass project.
Creditors’ Rights & Bankruptcy
Mr. Gabriel works with the firm’s bankruptcy attorneys in drafting and negotiating financing, real estate, and corporate transaction documents related to bankruptcy plans. He counsels and advises clients on landlord and tenant bankruptcies, borrower and guarantor bankruptcies, and real property developer bankruptcies.
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated (Since 2012)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – Corporate/Commercial Law and Real Estate Law (2008-2022, Band 2)
- The Best Lawyers in America – “Lawyer of the Year” in Corporate Law (2022)
- The Best Lawyers in America – Real Estate Law (2008-2023), Corporate Law (2013-2023), Business Organizations (2020-2023)
- Vegas Inc. “Top Lawyers” – Real Estate Law (2022)
- Super Lawyers Magazine “Mountain States Super Lawyer” – Corporate/Business, Real Estate/Business, Land Use/Zoning, Creditor and Debtor Rights/Business (2008-2018)
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Nevada State Bar’s Business Law Section
- Former member of the Board of Directors of Meritas
- Author and instructor of continuing education courses for real estate licensees and attorneys, covering commercial leasing, commercial real estate purchase and sale transactions, and distressed loans.
McDonald Carano proudly announces that 15 of our Las Vegas office lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in America and…
McDonald Carano congratulates 10 attorneys in our Las Vegas office who are recognized as “Top Lawyers” in the Vegas Inc./Las Vegas Weekly 2022 list of the “best in our community…
McDonald Carano congratulates Andy Gabriel on his 15th consecutive year of being ranked in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. In addition to earning individual recognition in both Corporate/Commercial…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.