Andrew S. Gabriel
Areas of Practice
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 1988
- MBA, University of California, Los Angeles, 1980
- B.S., with distinction, Cornell University, 1978
Practicing primarily in commercial real estate and business transactions, Mr. Gabriel is a partner in the Las Vegas office, a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee, and Co-Chair of both the Business Entities & Transactions Practice and the Real Estate & Land Use Practice. He is also a member of the Executive Committee of the Nevada State Bar’s Business Law Section.
Mr. Gabriel earned the AV Preeminent Peer Review rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is highly ranked in both The Best Lawyers in America and Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Clients describe Mr. Gabriel to Chambers researchers as a “particularly well-respected attorney,” “very good lawyer,” “very strong attorney,” “problem solver” and “very easy to work with.” In 2022 Mr. Gabriel earned “Lawyer of the Year” recognition in Corporate Law from The Best Lawyers in America.
Mr. Gabriel represents lenders, borrowers, and guarantors in secured commercial real property and personal property financing transactions, including lender legal opinions, loan workouts and restructuring, receiverships, and foreclosures; landlords and tenants in the negotiation and drafting of retail, industrial, and office leases, resolution of lease disputes, and lease default workouts; buyers and sellers of commercial real property, business entities, and assets; common interest community owners’ associations; real estate brokers and property managers; business owners and executives in the negotiation of contracts and the resolution of contract disputes; and Nevada corporations, limited liability companies, and partnerships and their shareholders, directors, members, managers, and partners in entity formation and governance matters.
Real Estate & Land Use Planning
- Author, “Understanding Easements in Nevada,” Lorman Education Services CLE Program materials, August 17, 2018
- Representing buyers, sellers, landlords, and tenants of commercial real estate, including land, shopping centers, office buildings, industrial buildings, multi-family apartment projects, hotels, casinos, restaurants, taverns, gas stations, and convenience stores.
- Advising clients on commercial real property due diligence, including title and survey reviews, environmental conditions, and lease and property contract abstracts.
- Representing lenders and borrowers in loans secured by commercial real property, including conventional development/construction and takeout financing, CMBS conduit financing, and mezzanine financing; representing parties in loan workouts, modifications, compromise and settlement agreements, and restructuring transactions.
- Representing title companies, real estate brokerage companies, and property management companies in connection with the legal requirements of their businesses.
- Advising developers’ and owners’ associations on the creation, governance, and operation of common-interest communities, including condominiums.
- Counseling developers on land-use entitlement matters, including zoning, variances, use permits, development agreements, and subdivision laws.
Business Entities & Transactions
- Representing corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies and their directors, shareholders, officers, partners, members, and managers in entity formation and governance.
- Representing buyers and sellers of commercial business assets, including bulk sales and the sales of restaurants, taverns, and casino assets with privileged licenses.
- Representing buyers and sellers of stock, partnership interests, and membership interests in equity transactions.
- Representing lenders and borrowers in asset-secured financing transactions pursuant to the UCC and the enforcement of UCC security interests.
- Drafting and negotiating of contracts governing a wide variety of business transactions.
Engagements include providing real estate, land use, and project finance law advice to McDonald Carano’s energy lawyers serving as local counsel for project owners and project lenders in connection with a 67-megawatt geothermal facility with a 207-mile, 230 kV transmission line; a 260-mile 500 kV overhead transmission line; a 150- megawatt wind farm; a 100-megawatt concentrating power plant; a 20-megawatt solar PV project; and a 20-megawatt biomass project.
Creditors’ Rights & Bankruptcy
- Assist McDonald Carano Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Financial Restructuring lawyers in drafting and negotiating financing, real estate, and corporate transaction documents related to bankruptcy plans.
- Counsel and advise clients on landlord and tenant bankruptcies, borrower and guarantor bankruptcies, and real property developer bankruptcies.
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell – AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating (since 2012)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – Band 1 in Real Estate Law (2004, 2008-2023) and Band 2 in Corporate/Commercial Law (2008-2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America – “Lawyer of the Year” in Corporate Law (2022)
- The Best Lawyers in America – Real Estate Law (2008-2023), Corporate Law (2013-2023), Business Organizations (2020-2023)
- Vegas Inc. – “Top Lawyers” in Real Estate Law (2022, 2023)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers Magazine – Super Lawyer (2008-2018)
- Member, Executive Committee, Nevada State Bar’s Business Law Section
- Former member, Board of Directors, Meritas
Andy Gabriel Awarded Highest Band 1 Ranking in Chambers USA
McDonald Carano congratulates Andy Gabriel on receiving the highest Band 1 ranking in Real Estate Law from Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2023. Andy is also highly ranked in the Corporate/Commercial…
Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating™
McDonald Carano proudly announces that more than half of our Partners, Of Counsel, and Senior Counsel have received the Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating™ for achieving “the highest level…
Las Vegas Office Lawyers Ranked Among Best Lawyers in America 2023
McDonald Carano proudly announces that 15 of our Las Vegas office lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in America and…
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.