- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- J.D., University of Nevada, Las Vegas, William S. Boyd School of Law, magna cum laude and William S. Boyd Outstanding Graduate Award, 2005
- B.A., International Studies and Theatre Arts, cum laude, Pepperdine University, 1999
Amanda Yen is a partner in the firm and focuses her practice primarily in Commercial & Complex Litigation and Appellate Law. She is recognized for her relentless approach to high-stakes litigation, utilizing her expansive knowledge of procedural issues, rules and experience in every aspect of litigation to her clients’ advantage in the courtroom. Ms. Yen’s extensive litigation experience includes her involvement as second chair on one of Nevada’s most complex construction and business litigation cases involving the largest privately funded construction project in the United States. Ms. Yen also regularly acts as local counsel for several national and international law firms in Nevada’s state and federal courts, and has acted as local counsel for multidistrict litigation involving complex products liability issues.
Before joining McDonald Carano, Ms. Yen was a judicial law clerk for the United States District Court where she wrote briefs, attended trials and prepared orders on all types of civil and criminal matters. While a clerk, she also prepared bench memoranda for and attended hearings at the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Commercial & Complex Litigation
In the areas of Commercial & Complex Litigation, Ms. Yen has handled cases in both federal and state courts. As a former federal law clerk, she is particularly skilled in procedural issues before the United States District Court. Ms. Yen litigates a variety of matters including contract disputes, tortious interference, landlord/tenant, fraud and misrepresentation, quiet title and matters involving injunctive relief. She has had considerable success in motion practice, particularly summary judgment motions and obtaining temporary restraining orders.
Ms. Yen’s appellate law practice focuses on representing clients before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Nevada Supreme Court, the Nevada Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court on direct appeals and writ practice, petitions for review and amicus briefs. Ms. Yen also handles appeals to the Nevada district courts on a variety of administrative decisions. Ms. Yen assists trial teams to ensure that appellate issues are preserved in the trial court, which provides clients with an appellate advantage prior to even the first appellate filing. Ms. Yen is particularly knowledgeable in filing motions with the Nevada appellate courts and has shared her expertise as the author of the Motions Practice Chapter of the 2021 edition of the Nevada Appellate Practice Manual.
- Fremont Emergency Services (Mandavia), et al. vs. UnitedHealth Group, Inc. et al.: $62.65 million jury verdict awarded to client TeamHealth finding UnitedHealthcare liable for breach of contract, unjust enrichment and two forms of unfair insurance practices
- Paramount Marketing Consultants, Inc. v. M&K Enterprises: concerning a sub-lessee’s rights under a sublease agreement affected by separate negotiations and agreements between the sub-lessor and the owner
- Youngblood Architecture, LTD. v. Youngblood Wucherer Sparer Architects, LLC membership purchase and dispute for a limited liability company
- AMI Opportunity Fund, LLC v. Amerivon Chloe Acquisition, LLC: concerning a dispute over the purchase of a participation interest in an investment
- Azteca Steel, Inc. v. Perini Building Company, et al.: brought in as appellate counsel and obtained a denial of the opposing sides writ petition, subsequent request for reconsideration and en banc reconsideration
- Russ Steel Co., Inc. v. Clark Construction Group, LLC (In Re CityCenter): representing the general contractor in a complex commercial construction litigation concerning, at the time, the largest privately financed development in the United States
- Digital Blue, Inc. v. Dyon, et al.: a case concerning trade secrets and unfair competition
- Catadon Systems, Inc. v. Planet Safe Systems, Inc.: prosecution and settlement regarding intentional interference with contractual and business relations concerning Nevada’s WindGenerations Program
Awards and Recognition
- Special recognition for pro bono work, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada
- Top Verdicts & Settlements of the West “Top 25 Verdicts 2021” – #1 largest in Nevada, #1 largest in Contracts in 13-state West region, and #9 largest in all areas of law in 13-state West region, ALM/American Lawyer Media’s VerdictSearch (Fremont Emergency Services (Mandavia), et al. vs. UnitedHealth Group, Inc. et al., Dec. 7, 2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated (Since 2014)
- The Best Lawyers in America – Commercial Litigation (2021-2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America – Appellate Practice (2016-2023), including “Lawyer of the Year” in Appellate Practice (2018)
- Super Lawyers Magazine “Mountain States Rising Star” (2009, 2013-2015) – Business Litigation, Construction Litigation, Appellate
- Super Lawyers Magazine “Mountain States Super Lawyer” (2016-2022) – Business Litigation, Construction Litigation, Appellate
- Nevada Business Magazine “Legal Elite/Top Rank Attorneys” (2013, 2014, 2020) and “Legal Elite/Best Up & Coming Attorneys” (2013)
- Las Vegas Business Press – “Women Who Mean Business”
Professional Affiliations and Community Engagement
- Member, Board of Directors (2020-2023)
- Chair, Young Lawyer Advisory Board (2019-2020)
- Chair-Elect, Young Lawyer Advisory Board (2018-2019)
- Member, Young Lawyer Advisory Board (2015-2018)
- Member, Nevada Commission on Ethics
- Member, Sierra Club
- Board of Directors, Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation
McDonald Carano proudly announces that 15 of our Las Vegas office lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in America and…
McDonald Carano congratulates Jim Bradshaw, Pat Lundvall, George Ogilvie, Jeff Silvestri and Amanda Yen for being recognized as Business Litigation Super Lawyers in the 2022 edition of Mountain States Super…
McDonald Carano proudly announces that 10 attorneys in our Reno and Las Vegas offices received recognition in four areas of law in the Mountain States Super Lawyers list for 2022….
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.