Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
McDonald Carano’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee is charged with the responsibility of researching, developing, recommending, reviewing, advancing, implementing, and monitoring Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives, programs, and activities across the Firm. The DEI Committee also leads the Firm’s support of and involvement in DEI oriented organizations outside of the Firm. The Committee is committed to help McDonald Carano continue to make a difference both inside and outside the Firm, including the legal, business, government, and local communities that it serves and in which it operates.
The composition of the DEI Committee itself reflects McDonald Carano’s commitment to incorporate DEI into every aspect of the Firm. The Committee members not only consist of partners of the Firm, but also representatives from the Firm’s Executive Committee, Practice Group leadership, office management, administrative departments, and all levels of attorneys and professional staff. The Committee reports to the Executive Committee, the Firm’s primary management authority. The Committee works to ensure each member and employee of the Firm is represented, included, involved and most importantly, has a voice.
McDonald Carano recognizes that making a difference also requires looking inward to acknowledge and understand our own culture, diversity composition, and paths for improvement. We educate ourselves through ongoing meetings and conversations, and the insights we gain help us better serve and advocate for each other, our clients and the communities where we live and work. We believe in doing well by doing good, and that requires listening, learning, investing in, and making meaningful change. Creating an environment where everyone feels that they are valued, welcome, and belong is a core value of our legacy. We are proud that of the eight attorneys we hired in the last two years, five are women, two are Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders, and one is African American. Some of these hires began with the Firm as law clerks and were offered positions as full-time associates.
Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee looks forward to sharing information about our efforts on this page. For example:
- McDonald Carano participates in programs that focus on improving the diversity pipeline in the legal profession and providing related employment opportunities. For example, we participate in the Professional Development Fellowship Program of the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. The fellowship program provides diverse law school students with educational and practical experience by pairing them with local legal employers who are helping to increase diversity in the legal profession. In 2022, we completed our second year of participating in this fellowship program and through it we provided three minority law school students with paid internship positions at McDonald Carano. We have made a commitment to continue participation in this diversity fellowship program.
- McDonald Carano is proud to provide membership support, event sponsorships, and program assistance to organizations advancing diversity in the legal profession, business community, and government, including the Southern Nevada Association of Women Attorneys, Northern Nevada Women Lawyers Association, Las Vegas Chapter of the National Bar Association, Nevada Black Legislative Caucus, the Global Gaming Women organization, and many others. We also provide pro bono legal services and financial support to numerous organizations that address the needs of those who are often underserved diverse individuals and communities, including Washoe Legal Services and the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada.
- McDonald Carano is a financial sponsor, participant, and attendee of the Kick Up Your Heels fundraiser hosted by Global Gaming Women. The event raises money to support the Global Gaming Women organization as well as its Charitable Education Fund, which provides women throughout the gaming industry with educational scholarships.
- McDonald Carano is a Friends sponsor of the Southern Nevada Association of Women Attorneys and provides additional sponsorships for SNAWA events throughout the year, including the annual Miriam Shearing Gala to honor the accomplishments of trailblazing women in our legal community and to raise funds for scholarships for the students at the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
- McDonald Carano is a sponsor of the Las Vegas Chapter of the National Bar Association’s Annual Scholarship Gala to help fund scholarships to minority law students at the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
- McDonald Carano is a financial sponsor, participant and attendee of the Nevada Black Legislative Caucus’ Black History Awards event which supports NBLC’s mission to increase the preparation, participation, and representation of African Americans in state government. Members of the NBLC include African Americans who are elected in the Assembly and Senate of the Nevada State Assembly. Our support of the NBLC provides an example of how everyone at McDonald Carano works together to facilitate our DEI efforts. McDonald Carano attorneys, staff, and members of our Government Affairs Group all attended the NBLC 2022 Black History Awards event. We also invited community members to join our table including the President of StartUp Vegas, the Executive Director of the Nevada League of Cities, and a Las Vegas City Councilman. McDonald Carano creates opportunities to include professional staff to personally experience and participate in the Firm’s efforts to promote diversity within the legal, business, government, and local communities.
- McDonald Carano serves as a Full Grant donor in our financial support of the student-led Public Interest Law Association at the UNLV Boyd School of Law. Through direct grant donations and an annual charity auction, PILA raises funds to provide financial grants that make it possible for law students to pursue otherwise unpaid public interest career opportunities during the summer.
- We invite you to click here and help us honor the outstanding women who lead and inspire our firm. Please also click here to celebrate the 11 women lawyers from nine Practice Groups in our Reno and Las Vegas offices who are recognized in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers in America, including two “Lawyer of the Year” awards and a “Ones to Watch” award.
- The Community Engagement Team of our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee helps connect our efforts to local communities, such as leading our annual school supplies and holiday toy drive for students of Howard Wasden Elementary School. In 2021, for the school supplies drive, the Firm donated Office Depot gift cards and 200 masks for children, and our employees donated everything from glue sticks, binders and goggles to lunch pails, foam balls, markers, and gift cards from Walmart and Target. The holiday gift drive provided more than 100 gifts, including coats, clothing, doll houses, action figures, bikes, scooters and books – all wrapped and delivered by McDonald Carano attorneys and employees.
Committee Vice Chair
Committee Vice Chair