Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
McDonald Carano’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee assists the firm with best practices and approaches for improving diversity at McDonald Carano and throughout the legal profession. From internal training programs and multi-departmental engagement groups to sponsorship of external diversity-oriented organizations and connecting with local high schools, universities and law schools, McDonald Carano pursues many different and creative ways to deepen our community connections and advance diversity efforts.
McDonald Carano recognizes that making a difference also requires looking inward to acknowledge and understand our own culture, diversity composition, and paths for improvement. We educate ourselves through ongoing meetings and conversations, and the insights we gain help us better serve and advocate for each other, our clients and the communities where we live and work. We believe in doing well by doing good, and that requires listening, learning, investing in, and making meaningful change. Creating an environment where everyone feels that they are valued, welcome, and belong is a core value of our legacy. We continue to work to do better every day.
Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee looks forward to sharing information about our efforts on this page. For example:
- McDonald Carano participates in the Professional Development Fellowship Program of the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. The program provides diverse law school students with educational and practical experience by pairing them with local legal employers who are helping to increase diversity in the legal profession.
- McDonald Carano is proud to provide membership support, event sponsorships, and program assistance to organizations advancing diversity in the legal profession, business community, and government, including the Southern Nevada Women Lawyers Association, Northern Nevada Women Lawyers Association, Las Vegas Chapter of the National Bar Association, Nevada Black Legislative Caucus, the Global Gaming Women organization, and many others.
- McDonald Carano is a financial sponsor, participant and attendee of the annual Kick Up Your Heels fundraiser hosted by Global Gaming Women. The event raises money to support the Global Gaming Women organization as well as its Charitable Education Fund, which provides women throughout the gaming industry with educational scholarships.
- McDonald Carano is a financial sponsor, participant and attendee of the Nevada Black Legislative Caucus’ Annual Black History Awards event which supports NBLC’s mission to increase the preparation, participation, and representation of African Americans in state government. Members of the NBLC include African Americans who are elected in the Assembly and Senate of the Nevada State Assembly.
- McDonald Carano annually serves as a Full Grant donor in our financial support of the student-led Public Interest Law Association at the UNLV Boyd School of Law. Through direct grant donations and an annual charity auction, PILA raises funds to provide financial grants that make it possible for law students to pursue otherwise unpaid public interest career opportunities during the summer.
- We invite you to click here and help us honor the outstanding women who lead and inspire our firm. Please also click here to celebrate the 11 women lawyers from nine Practice Groups in our Reno and Las Vegas offices who are recognized in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers in America, including two “Lawyer of the Year” awards and a “Ones to Watch” award.
- The Community Engagement Team of our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee helps connect our efforts to local communities, such as leading our annual school supplies and holiday toy drive for students of Howard Wasden Elementary School. In 2021, for the school supplies drive, the Firm donated Office Depot gift cards and 200 masks for children, and our employees donated everything from glue sticks, binders and goggles to lunch pails, foam balls, markers, and gift cards from Walmart and Target. The holiday gift drive provided more than 100 gifts, including coats, clothing, doll houses, action figures, bikes, scooters and books – all wrapped and delivered by McDonald Carano attorneys and employees.
Committee Vice Chair
Committee Vice Chair