Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
In February 2023 McDonald Carano earned the first “Partner in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion” medallion from the State Bar of Nevada in recognition of our DEI initiatives. The medallion is awarded to firms that complete at least five DEI initiatives in the categories of recruitment, retention, pipeline and community programs, and coaching and training. McDonald Carano completed more than 10 initiatives and additional DEI programs are underway. The State Bar launched its DEI Medallion Program in 2023.
DEI Committee Mission
McDonald Carano’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee is charged with the responsibility of researching, developing, recommending, reviewing, advancing, implementing, and monitoring Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives, programs, and activities across the Firm. The DEI Committee also leads the Firm’s support of and involvement in DEI oriented organizations outside of the Firm. The Committee is committed to help McDonald Carano continue to make a difference both inside and outside the Firm, including legal, business, government, and local communities.
DEI Committee Membership
The composition of the DEI Committee reflects McDonald Carano’s commitment to incorporate DEI into every aspect of the Firm. Committee members include partners of the Firm as well as representatives from the Firm’s Executive Committee, Practice Group leadership, office management, administrative departments, and all levels of attorneys and professional staff. The DEI Committee reports to the Executive Committee, the Firm’s primary management authority. The DEI Committee works to ensure each member and employee of the Firm is represented, included, involved and most importantly, has a voice.
DEI Committee Goals
McDonald Carano recognizes that making a difference also requires looking inward to acknowledge and understand our own culture, diversity composition, and paths for improvement. We educate ourselves through ongoing meetings and conversations, and the insights we gain help us better serve and advocate for each other, our clients and the communities where we live and work. We believe in doing well by doing good, and that requires listening, learning, investing in, and making meaningful change. Creating an environment where everyone feels that they are valued, welcome, and belong is a core value of our legacy.
DEI Committee News
In addition to the information provided below, news announcements from our DEI Committee are available here.
Cultural Celebrations Subcommittee Featured in State Bar of Nevada eNews
The State Bar of Nevada’s Board of Governors meeting in January 2023 included a presentation to update the Nevada Supreme Court on the State Bar’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Initiatives. McDonald Carano co-hosted the meeting and shared our DEI programs. One of the initiatives we discussed was our Cultural Celebrations Subcommittee which was also featured in the State Bar’s e-newsletter in December 2022.
The State Bar of Nevada has asked law firms to share their DEI initiatives to facilitate ideas and conversation. In an article titled “McDonald Carano Values Diversity in All Functions,” our Cultural Celebrations subcommittee was featured in the Dec. 15, 2022, issue of the State Bar’s eNews, as provided below.
McDonald Carano has an active DEI Committee, the membership of which spans every level of the firm. McDonald Carano’s DEI Committee includes several working groups, each with a targeted goal. For example, the Cultural Celebrations subcommittee recognizes the contributions and histories of our diverse communities, unifies the firm around heritage days/months, and publishes identity acknowledgments throughout the year. The Cultural Celebrations subcommittee provides an opportunity for firm members to learn more about colleagues’ lived experiences, traditions, religion, history, and culture. Some recent examples include the firm’s recognition of National Hispanic Heritage Month, Juneteenth, and Chinese New Year.
McDonald Carano believes in fostering an authentic culture of DEI both outwardly and inwardly – one in which all feel seen, heard, and valued.
DEI Committee Activities
Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee looks forward to sharing information about our efforts on this page. We are proud to provide membership support, event sponsorships, and program assistance to organizations advancing diversity in the legal profession, business community, and government. For example:
- Professional Development Fellowship Program of the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas – McDonald Carano participates in programs that focus on improving the diversity pipeline in the legal profession and providing related employment opportunities. For example, we participate in the Professional Development Fellowship Program of the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. The fellowship program provides diverse law school students with educational and practical experience by pairing them with local legal employers who are helping to increase diversity in the legal profession. 2023 is the third year we participated in the program and through it we have provided four law school students with paid internship positions at McDonald Carano. We have made a commitment to continue participating in this annual diversity fellowship program.
- Global Gaming Women – McDonald Carano is a financial sponsor, participant, and attendee of the Kick Up Your Heels fundraiser hosted by Global Gaming Women. The event raises money to support the Global Gaming Women organization as well as its Charitable Education Fund, which provides women throughout the gaming industry with educational scholarships.
- Association of Women Attorneys – McDonald Carano is a Friends sponsor of the Southern Nevada Association of Women Attorneys and we provide additional sponsorships for SNAWA events throughout the year, including the annual Miriam Shearing Gala to honor the accomplishments of trailblazing women in our legal community and to raise funds for scholarships for the students at the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. We are also a member of the Northern Nevada Women Lawyers Association.
- Las Vegas Chapter of the National Bar Association – McDonald Carano is a sponsor of the Las Vegas Chapter of the National Bar Association’s Annual Scholarship Gala to help fund scholarships to diverse law students at the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
- National Association of Muslim Lawyers – McDonald Carano sponsored the National Association of Muslim Lawyers 2022 Annual Conference in Las Vegas. In addition to an extensive range of sessions led by distinguished speakers, the conference also celebrated 25 years since NAML’s creation as well as several successful 2022 initiatives including the debut of NAML’s mentorship program.
- Nevada Black Legislative Caucus – McDonald Carano is a financial sponsor, participant and attendee of the Nevada Black Legislative Caucus’ Black History Awards event which supports NBLC’s mission to increase the preparation, participation, and representation of African Americans in state government. Members of the NBLC include African Americans who are elected in the Assembly and Senate of the Nevada State Assembly. Our support of the NBLC provides an example of how everyone at McDonald Carano works together to facilitate our DEI efforts. For example, McDonald Carano attorneys, staff, and members of our Government Affairs & Advocacy Group attended the NBLC 2022 Black History Awards event. McDonald Carano creates opportunities to include professional staff to personally experience and participate in the Firm’s efforts to promote diversity within the legal, business, government, and local communities.
- Public Interest Law Association – McDonald Carano serves as a Full Grant donor in our financial support of the student-led Public Interest Law Association at UNLV Boyd School of Law. Through direct grant donations and an annual charity auction, PILA raises funds to provide financial grants that make it possible for law students to pursue otherwise unpaid public interest career opportunities during the summer.
- Women Leaders – We invite you to click here and help us honor the outstanding women who lead and inspire our firm. Please also click here to celebrate the 10 women lawyers from eight Practice Groups in our Reno and Las Vegas offices who are recognized in the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in America, including a “Ones to Watch” award. In honor of International Women’s Day, we support women-owned businesses in Reno and Las Vegas. In 2023 we enjoyed celebratory lunches provided by the Cheese Board in Reno and Letty’s De Leticia’s Cocina in Las Vegas. Both restaurants are owned by women.
- Giving Back through Community Service – The Community Engagement Team of our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee helps connect our DEI efforts to local communities. For example, our Las Vegas office holds an annual school supplies drive and an annual holiday toy drive for students of Howard Wasden Elementary School. The school supplies drive provides everything from glue sticks, binders and goggles to lunch pails, foam balls, and markers. The holiday toy drive provides coats, clothing, doll houses, action figures, bikes, scooters, and books – all wrapped and delivered by McDonald Carano attorneys and employees. McDonald Carano’s Las Vegas office also supports the Las Vegas Rescue Mission by teaming up to help prepare, serve, and clean up after an evening community meal. In addition to providing 30,000 meals each month, LVRM serves those in need through shelter, daily needs, and addiction recovery. McDonald Carano’s Reno office also participates in the annual Adopt-A-Family program provided by the Boys & Girls Club of Truckee Meadows. Through the program, full-time Club staff refer families who create wish lists for each child in their household (including clothing and toys). The Club anonymously matches each family with a donor and provides the donor with the family’s wish lists. The program assists more than 200 youth for the holidays. Our Reno office also organized a gift and wrapping project to bring some holiday cheer, togetherness, and gifts to residents of an independent senior living community in Reno.
- Pro Bono Services – McDonald Carano also integrates our DEI efforts with the pro bono legal services and financial support we provide to numerous organizations that address the needs of those who are often underserved diverse individuals and communities, including Northern Nevada Legal Aid and the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada.
Mackenzie Warren Kay