Michael G. Whittaker
Areas of Practice
- Nevada, 2015
- Idaho, 2011
- LL.M., Taxation, University of Florida, 2015
- J.D., University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho
- M.B.A., with honors, Washington State University
- B.S., Economics, Brigham Young University
Michael G. Whittaker is an attorney in the Firm’s Trusts & Estates Group, focusing his practice on counseling high-net-worth individuals and their families in connection with estate and tax planning issues, trust and estate administration and business succession planning. He also regularly advises financial institutions with regard to fiduciary and custodial issues and works diligently as a trusted advisor on fiduciary issues, generational skipping transfers, probate and post-death trust administration.
Mr. Whittaker understands the unique circumstances of each client, whether they are first generation wealth builders, beneficiaries, athletes with large contracts, or a family-owned business. He prepares individualized plans with a keen mind towards minimizing estate, gift and generation skipping transfer taxes, including preparation of wills, trusts, and powers of attorney. Estate planning is essential to the preservation and transfer of wealth, and he is able to break down the various concepts and practices so clients, from sport stars to wealth creators, can actively participate in accomplishing their goals.
Mr. Whittaker represents trustees, personal representatives and beneficiaries in court supervised and unsupervised trust administration and probate proceedings during emotional times, such as when a loved one passes, helping to guide families and prevent conflict. This allows individuals to deal with the loss of a loved one without the added stress of legal concerns.
For many Nevada families, their closely held business represents most of their wealth, and Mr. Whittaker is able to assist clients throughout all phases of their business life cycle. He helps clients to select the most advantageous entity type in formation, counsels them as they grow their business, provides sound business advice, as well as tax saving and asset protection strategies. He also prepares succession planning to ensure a seamless and cost effective transition to the next generation or future owners.
- Prepare wills, financial powers of attorney, health care powers of attorney and trusts to ensure that clients financial and health care desires are followed throughout their life and their wealth is transferred as planned upon their death
- Negotiate and prepare settlement documents to dissolve and divide a multimillion dollar trust among beneficiaries in a highly contentious blended family
- Represent out of state and local personal representatives in supervised probate proceedings of assets located in Nevada to ensure these assets were distributed pursuant to the decedent’s will
- Prepare all types of transactional documents including, but not limited to: entity formation documents, company governance agreements, partnership agreements, statutory conversion, merger agreements, buy-sell agreements, dissolution agreements and other disposition agreements of closely held or corporate entities
The Nevada Office of Military Legal Assistance – Pro Bono Estate Planning Volunteer
Southern Nevada Estate Planning Council – Member
National Business Institute – Faculty
You have chosen to send an email to McDonald Carano. The sending or receipt of this email and the information in it does not in itself create an attorney-client relationship. If you are not already a client, you should not provide us with information that you wish to have treated as privileged or confidential without first speaking to one of our lawyers. If you provide information before we confirm that you are a client and that we are willing and able to represent you, we may not be required to treat that information as privileged, confidential, or protected information, and we may be able to represent a party adverse to you.
I have read this and want to send an email.